Treasure Hunt | Eighteen

[ Comment & Vote.🖤 ]

Loran and I laid in bed that night. I was facing the wall, thinking about everything that was said, and that would be said tomorrow. He was spooning me, one arm wrapped around my waist, holding me tightly to him as my head rested on the other while played with my hair. He leaned over to kiss my cheek, whispering, "I'm so proud of you," in my ear before kissing my temple.

"For what?" I said, dully.

"Everything that you said go your mom."

"It's everything little Dalton wishes he'd said back then."

He nuzzled his face into the back of my neck, "Little Dalton would be proud of you, too."

"I don't want to go alone tomorrow." I said after some time.

"I know, I'm sorry. If I could reschedule with my client, I would."

"I know."

"Hey," he pulled away just enough that he could lean over me to look at me. "She's going to be alright, Dalton." He kissed me, hard, and I knew that he could feel that my body was reacting. "Do you want to do something to take your mind off of it?"

"No," I said, quickly. "Just hold me."

"Just hold you," he kissed the tip of my nose before holding me against him. "I can do that."

"Dalton?"

I was pulling T's hair back into a ponytail while she was eating cereal. "Yes, Zach?"

He sat across from her, nitpicking at his own bowl. "Can you drive me to school today?" There was something about the look in his eyes that didn't sit right with me.

"Of course I can." I finished her hair. "We're leaving in fifteen minutes."

"Okay." And he didn't say another word.

T's appointment wasn't until late in the afternoon, so she was going to school for the first half of the day. She was dropped off first, her school starting at 8:30 while Zach's started at 9.

"Hey," I looked over at Zach as we watched T make it inside the school. "Is everything okay?"

"Why?" He wouldn't look at me.

"Just curious," I left the parking lot. "You never ask to be driven."

He shrugged, but kept staring out the window. The drive to his school was filled with silence. It wasn't until he got out of the car that he looked at me, "I kissed a boy." And then he shut the door behind him, taking off towards the stairs that led up to the building's front doors, not once looking back.

I sat there for a hot minute, completely in shock. I'll admit I hadn't expected him to say that.

I was half surprised to see that Loran hadn't left for work yet. "Do you need help?" I raised a brow, watching comically as he attempted to tie his tie, but was failing miserably at it.

He looked over at me, helplessly. "Did you really even need to ask?"

I chuckled at him but instantly started it. "I don't know why you bother with them, considering you can't tie them yourself."