Chapter 3: The Order

Percy's mom had been insistant that she come along and drop Percy off at the Order's headquarters, though she promised hse wouldn't stay. She just needed to make sure that the people he would be staying with were good people and that her son wouldn't be dying after surviving through two wars.

Albus had promised her son would be okay, but she'd learned a long time ago it's better to make sure things are correct yourself rather than trusting someone else to check it out for you.

Sally looked at her son again and said, "Please don't do this, Percy. You can still come home. Go to school or find a job and stay with Paul and me and--"

"It's too late now, mom. I've already accepted the quest and you know I don't break my promises. At least, not if I can help it." Percy thought about all the promises he had made but broken--promising Nico he's protect Bianca, Beckendorf and him would make it back to camp, freeing Calypso from her island as soon as possible, never leaving Annabeth--

"Then promise me something." When her son didn't say anything, she continued, "Promise me you'll come home for Christmas this year."

Percy was about to reply that he wouldn't make a promise he'd end up breaking, but he was interrupted by the opening of the door. Percy had been surprised when the building had popped out of nowhere, but he was more taken back by the screaming lady on the wall. Suddenly there was a cloth draped over it.

He looked up to find a man who could probably share tips with Nico about the whole goth look. Apparantly his mom recognized him as she regarded him.

"Sirius."

The man opened his mouth to say something, but another voice interrupted them. "Sally! I can't believe you're here!"

"Remus! It's been so long since I've seen you!" She looked behind him, and she smiled a bit more. "And Severus! I didn't expect you to join the order." There was something about the way she said it, which made Percy think she new something important.

"Who's the kid?" The goth dude said. I think his name was Siri--something.

Sally smiled gently and said, "This is my son, Percy. Apparantly Albus has recruited him to join your little band of heroes."

"At least we're fighting, rather than running away."

"Bug off, Sirius." Oh! So that's what his name was. "I left to protect my family."

"And at the same time, you abandoned it completely."

"Like you'd understand."

"I understand that--"

"I don't!" Everyone stared at Percy. Some were amused he'd interrupted the argument. Others stunned, probably becausse they'd forgotten he was in the room. It wasn't the first time.

The serious guy turned his attention away from Sally and looked at her son. "What was that?"

"I'm sorry. Did you not understand? I'll say it a little slower. I. Don't. Understand."

"What?"

"What's not to understand about that statement? I don't get why you don't like my mom, or how you guys even know each other."

Sally sighed and said, "We were friends of sorts when we were in school."

"You mean that wizarding school that sounds like a pig disease?"

A few people laughed as his mom sighed and said, "Yes. We had some classes together when we went to Hogwarts together. Please don't piss people off before school's even started."