Chapter 5: Annabeth

Percy grabbed a hoodie from his bedside table on his way out of the household. He quietly made his way out of the room, making sure he didn't wake up the twins (who he had been roomed with). He'd been up since 3 but had decided to just listen to some music on the iPod Paul had given him for his birthday. Surprisingly, it soothed him and controlled some of his restlessness. He didn't understand why, and neither did Chiron--but it was another way for him to escape his thoughts and the demons that haunted his mind.

It was 5 and the sun was going to rise soon, so it was bright enough outside for him to go for a jog and not seem absolutely crazy. As far as he could tell, no one else was up, so he wrote a very messy note (with a lot of misspelled words) and left it on the dining table before heading out of the house, needing the cold air from outside to clear his haunting thoughts. 

Everyone in the house slowly began to wake up at 6, but Percy still hadn't returned. The adults took it as an opportunity to discuss what they should do about Percy. Ginny was reading through a few novels she had, while Hermione tried to get a head start on her school books. Harry and Ron decided to laze off some more and sleep in till Percy got back.

The twins, on the other hand, had much more productive plans. "George, how do you think he manages to carry all his personal belongings in this dainty backpack? The only things in his trunk are his robes and books for school. Though he does seem to have a lot of extra books..."

"Blimey, Fred! Check out this letter I found. The ink is smeared with droplets, though, so I think the person who wrote it might have been crying."

"What does it say?"

"I don't know. It's in some weird language. Let's ask Hermione to translate it for us."

The two boys ran to the kitchen and dragged Hermione out, asking her to translate the letter without telling her where they got it from. She scowled but cast a translating spell none the less so that she could see the English version of the letter next to the weird letters.

"It says, 'Percy'...you guys took it from his belongings! What's wrong with you two?!"

George just smiled and asked, "Aren't you curious as to what it says, though? The lad's mysterious. I say we find out whatever we can to make sure Harry's life is in good hands." It was a dirty trick, but Hermione gave in, thinking of her best friend's welbeing.

"Fine. It says, 'Percy, I know that you'll be mad once you read this, and you'll probably hate yourself for not being able to stop this from happening. But it isn't your fault. I love you, but when you told me about how you were scared and didn't know how to lead us the way you had done last summer, I realized I didn't know what I'm doing anymore. 

" 'While it may sound selfish (and gods know it is) I wish I died while we were stuck in that pit, so that I wouldn't have to face such a cowardly end. I can't take it anymore, Percy. I know you promised you'd never leave me again, but you have to let me go this time. I can't stand waking up from the nightmares, knowing that you suffer the same. And it's all my fault.

" 'If I hadn't been stupid while making that trap, neither of us would have fallen and everything would still be fine. But it isn't, and I'm sorry for that. I thought I could be strong enough for the two of us, but lately I've grown to depend on you more and more. When we were stuck in that pit, I would have killed myself if you hadn't been there to save me. But now that you need me, I just don't know what to do anymore.

" 'I'm sorry, Percy. I love you.

" 'Annabeth' "

There was a moment of silence as the three of them stared at each other. Finally, Hermione spoke up. "I think you should put this letter back where it came from and let him deal with his own problems. This is obviously not our business and something dear to him."