Chapter 4: Questions asked and Somewhat answered

A/N: disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters (but how awesome would it be if i did?). all right to rick riordan and jk rowling (who, btw, are just flat out amazing writers)

They were all seated at the table, though Sirius was forced to by Molly, as food was served to everyone. Apparantly, Percy had arrived a little late, so they were all having dinner together. He dug right into his food, while everyone else gave him apprehensive looks, wondering if they could really trust the kid Dumbledore had dumped onto them.

"Mr. Jackson--"

"Percy." Percy looked up from his food as he interrupted Remus. "It's just Percy."

"Very well. Percy, we were wondering if you could tell us a little bit about yourself. Like what kind of school you went to and where you're from. Maybe a little about your mom and dad, as well as what kind of activities you used to--"

Sirius interrupted his friend, getting impatient with the simple questions. "Did you really not know that your mother ran away from the wizarding world? And why should we trust a kid like you?"

"Sirius!" Molly scolded, before giving Percy an apologetic look. "I apologize about his behavior. You can just ignore him. Most of us do."

Percy took a breath and forced a big grin on his face. He needed to pass off the image that he had the same personality he did when he was 12--carefree, not the brightest, but friendly and loyal. If they saw the dark edge that shadowed him now, they would never trust him. But they would believe that naive boy that used to make others laugh--he just had to figure out how to bring that boy back. "No problem. As for Remus' questions--let's see. School: which one? I'm from New York, though I do travel a bit. Been raised by mom all my life, and didn't even know who my dad was till I was 12. Activities: hmm. I'm more of the outdoorsy type. Can't stand sitting in one spot too long."

"What do you mean which school?" Fred asked, thinking about the possibility that the boy who would be joining them was also a troublemaker who could join them in pranking the school for an epic last year in Hogwarts.

Percy scratched the back of his head and looked around. "Albus didn't tell you anything about me?"

Molly decided to speak up and said, "All he told us was that we should trust you. Not much else."

Percy nodded and then said, "I, um, got expelled from a few schools. No big deal, though. It was for, uh, stupid reasons anyways."

Snape smirked, wanting to cause a little mayhem. "Really? All the professors received a transcript detailing your history in schools, and it seems to me the longest you stayed in one school was two years--and that was only once. You usually stay at a school for a few months before you blow it up and get kicked out."

Several eyes widened and Hermione asked, "You blew them up? How can you just blow up your schools?" The tone she used reminded him of when her would scold him for doing something stupid that jeapordized their entire quest. He glanced at her briefly before turning his gaze away immediately, the memories her eyes brought too much for him to bear.

"It wasn't exactly my fault, but being the problem kid who'd been to so many schools, it was easier for them to just put the blame on me." Percy realized his little slip up too late. Why couldn't he just say they were accidents instead of giving himself pity points?

"But still! You should know better than to keep changing schools. If you don't value education, you should--"

"I should what?" Percy couldn't stand the knowing tone she was using. The way she talked, which seemed as if every word was true without a doubt. The way she was so similar to her that it hurt. "Don't judge a book by it's old, wrinkly pages, yeah? Oh wait. It's the cover. Whatever--same thing in the end, I suppose."