1. Just Getting Ready

Thanks for the comments. They made me feel a little more confident in this book.

Jasmine.

I hope rehearsals is a breeze today since I'll have to deal with Mr. Do as I say or I'll make an example out of you. He didn't have to so rude about it, but at least he waited until everyone left because I would've been extremely embarrassed if he chewed me out in their presence. I dropped my gym bag onto the wooden floor before finding myself a place to stretch. After scanning the room for a good ten seconds, a tall, skinny girl with a mocha skin complexion caught my full attention. She seemed friendly. I casually walked over to her while rolling up the sleeves on my half shirt. After forcing myself down on the floor, she looked over at me with a smile.

"Hi," She awkwardly greeted me.

"Hey. I'm Jasmine," I smiled then straightened my legs out in front of me then reached down to touch my toes.

"Oh. You're the girl from yesterday," She chuckled. "I'm Shay."

"Oh God. Don't mention it," I sighed then folded my legs and put my feet together before pushing down on my knees.

While we did our stretches, we talked and got to know each other a little more. She's really cool, she's from Oakland, California and she acts.

"Okay. Time for warm-ups," Dave, our choreographer, instructed.

Everyone stood up and got in two rows of three. I stood in the second row far away from August. I really don't need him saying anything to me. I mimicked everything Dave instructed us to do which was the harsh choreography to New Flame.

"That was great," Dave complimented us.

We all thanked him while catching our breath. I placed my hands on my hips while scanning the room when my eyes met a pair of light brown orbs. I blushed lightly and looked away. After giving us a few minutes to breathe, Dave began to teach us the choreography to one of the dances we'll do while August does wardrobe change. The song we'll be dancing to is No Flex Zone so it'll be more of a fast and slow pace. I followed the lead of everyone else while putting my all into it.

"Stop. Stop," August interrupted our rehearsal.

The music stopped and everyone looked at him as I noticed he was staring at me.

"Y'all not workin' hard enough. Do y'all want this? If not, there's the door," He said all of this while looking dead at me and his finger pointed at the door.

I discreetly rolled my eyes and lowly huffed.

"Everybody's doing a good job and you're the one who needs this class 'cause you can't dance to save your life, but nice try," I thought to myself.

The room was silent besides the faint thumps on the roof from the rain.

"Thought so. Try it again," He said before sitting back down in his chair.

Why is he even here?

The music started back up and everyone got back in their original places.

~~~

The music that sung to me through my black speakers drifted my mind to a different place. All of my worries were washed away as I danced around my personal dance studio in my house. Sweat beads formed on my forehead as the heat rose in my body and in the room. My hips slowly rocked to Boy It's Over.

"How was rehearsals?"

I nearly jumped out of my skin. I snatched my body around and my eyes landed on my best friend and roommate, Donovan.

"Oh," I placed my hand over my chest while trying to catch my breath. "You scared me," I said innocently.

He laughed while shaking his head. "You're just so easy to scare, but my question," He chuckled.

"Oh. Right. It was great, but I still can't stand my boss. I knew he'd be straightforward and everything, but I didn't know he was a complete ass," I snarled.

He nodded. "He's an ass? He seems so chill," He questioned while rubbing his chin.

"Seems," I pointed out. "I thought he was cool, fine as hell, smart, but I didn't think he'd be acting so picky and what not," I sighed.

"Maybe he's just trying to warm you guys up, but just relax. Don't stress it until he's direct to you," He reassured me.

I shook my head. "I don't wanna wait until then so it won't catch me off guard. You know I'm sensitive," I whined.

He chuckled. "Okay. Okay," He sat down in my folding chair. "Here's what you do. Act like you're not phased at all, he'll leave you alone but if you act like you are, he'll continue to pick at you just for fun," He instructed me.

"Nah. He's the type of person that feeds off of strong people. He'll pick until you crack and then he'll be satisfied, but I'm not doing neither. I'll just act as if I didn't hear him, but I'm afraid he'll yell even more," I sighed.

"Damn. You sure you wanna put yourself through that," He scrunched his eyebrows together.

"Yeah. It's always been my dream to dance, though," I ran my fingers through my black hair.

What am I gonna do?

_________________________

15+ Comments