◇My Children 29/11/18

Stand alone, no fandom
~~~~~~~~~~~
Unruly hair strung out into knots, hands twisted in it, crushing into their skull as if to keep it from falling apart. Wet cheeks reflected the distant white light. Silent, confused, tired.

I ached for them. It hurts, deeply, every time. But I watch, and remain, there forever and always to ground them. Help them back up. Help them wake and leave the snapping jaws of uncertainty, fear, the nightmare.

Bright, smart, aware eyes closed off to the world. Clenched tight to ward off the dark corners that come from my presence. They hide in the blanketed void, where no one can see, all alone with the silvery light glinting through glass.

The beginning was not always difficult. Change and rules and ignorance made it so. They cursed to themselves, stiffling a gut-wrenching sob, and I wonder whatever made them think they weren't good enough. They were all precious, treasured and dear. I wished this wasn't so painful, but it was necessary.

The lies, the half-truths, the need for control had sent them all down a harder path. It sent them sliding down a cliffside seeing fluffy cloud so far down below. And when they stopped they wondered why, they no longer saw clouds promising a safe fall. There was emptiness.

Why? And my heart aches. They see others same as they always have but wonder why they continue to fall. They cling to the cliff side, everyone continues to fall. Why? And my heart cries in sorrow for they still see the promise of a cloud, white and dreamy and perfect.

The seemingly endless cliff digs into their hands as they hold tight. Why, they wonder, Why did I stop falling? But they do not let go.

The others call for them to come back. To fall, to forget.

The emptiness, the fall, the lie gently asks, whispers, orders, Let go.

And they turn their head away. Looking up, beyond, to the stars. Still, they wonder, why.

The beginning was not always so difficult. My voice was not always so quiet. The world was not always so complicated. Answers had not always been hidden, changed.

They lay curled up. Day rarely saw, Sun's light powerful, absolute, drove off dark and shadow deep into crevices, waiting just beyond comprehensible sight. They lay, eyes closed but no dreams play behind the lids. Silver-white beams weak, but caressing. There and hopeful.

My little one still asks why. I simply remain.

~404 words.