◇Refracting Drops

~Standalone, simple English assignment~

There was a moment-just us, the rain, and the flickering street lamp-when he paused in our walk, our previous carefree laughter stalled. White static pittered in an encompassing haze, increasing with the downpour, seeming to drown out all coherent thought when I followed his gaze across the street. His back turned to me; I looked over his pack-burdened shoulder. Dazzling lights, fancy umbrellas, and everything you could ever want lingering a mere rain pelleted street away. People walked quickly from the shelter of the buildings to their awaiting cars, hair and shoulders dry while they plotted each step over the flooding walkway. The toe of my muddy old sneakers balanced precariously over the rushing water off the curb, before I turned to continue splashing in the puddles-uncaring about soaking my cuffs and no longer wondering if I should hide from the rain. Not hearing an echo of my footsteps I glanced back. Still, he stood staring with the same look plastered on his face when we watched the skies for shooting stars and stories. He did not notice the spark gleaming in his eyes. Nor did he see the light dancing across his features. I watched the beauty of rainfall, while he dreamed of receding clouds.

~ELA30-1, Feb 13, 2019~
Goal: Write an analytical or creative paragraph on a given picture.

Eyyy this can go here too. I'm gonna explain the paragraph for future me because eventually I will come back to this and wonder what I was thinking with the title. My English teacher (who is very nice) would not shut up about photography and how to analyze that left is negative, darkness is negative, light is goodgoodgood, etc. So I took the light and made it cast rainbows onto the shadows through the raindrops (light is magical and refracts). Basically, I wanted to show the "light" is only a distraction and this is a creation of bitterness and was awfully vague before a friend pointed it out. She could write a dissertation in her sleep.

Update on A Ghosts Justice; I have nearly all of chapter four written. That doesn't help because chapter 2 is still a mess and in 3 Robin and Danny just will not leave the bloody lab to do what I need them to do for the story to move on. And life. Life has been busy.