♤Save the World

Danny Phantom x American Dragon Xover.

Is anyone into American Dragon: Jake Long anymore? I only recently discovered it (I really wanted to read this one fanfic but I didn't know anything about Jake so I quickly watched the first episode so I could read it haha). I feel robbed that this show wasn't a part of my childhood. The fic was a slow burn DannyxJake but isn't that far ahead yet and I needed more of them together! I started writing this halfway through Season 1 so I didn't want to use too many of Jakes characters in case something happens. It's mostly a play on Jake following his Mum's footsteps, he can't quite tell his 'main squeeze' he's not quite human... Also, I adore the Manhattan slang.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really need to tell him.

Running a hand through my green-tinged hair I stare at our apartment door. Danny has been the damn near greatest thing that's ever happened to me. We both ran off at weird times and often couldn't actually plan out dates, more spur-of-the-moment things like walks or catching a bite to eat at the nearest café. Honestly, we just made it work. Whenever our free times happened to match up, we were together. He didn't question why my schedule was as eccentric as his, and I didn't question his random disappearances either.

Then we moved in together, and the man didn't sleep. Not enough anyway. It explained the constant bags under his eyes, I joked about him being emo and wearing makeup all the time once. The next day he straightened his hair so in place of its usual mess that always seemed so him~ there was sleek black bangs that fell over his eyes. I choked on the straw of my lemonade at the time, he had popped up behind me with the new look and Danny had been too busy laughing to help me from dying a sour death. Anyway, he kept even weirder hours than I did, and I was the protector of the entire country.

Sometimes he went for a walk, at four in the morning.

Sometimes he didn't even wake me, just leaving a lingering kiss on my lips. Sometimes I wonder how many times that happens when I am actually sleeping.

Sometimes he went to the bathroom, and I didn't seem him again until the next day.

Sometimes he'd go completely off the radar for days.

Sometimes Danny stumbled through the door dead on his feet and bleeding. The minute we make eye contact the bastard smiles and walks in like he brought the groceries home and had only been gone for a few minutes.

One time, he didn't stumble through the door. My stubborn, dorky, perfect, stupid boyfriend fell through our bedroom ceiling. Stark white hair was a far cry from his shadowy tousled mess, toxic green eyes stared up at me with a familiar deer-in-the-headlights-my-brain-can't-function look that I often saw looking into a blue tundra. But Danny landed flat on his back over top my legs, after a beat of silence the dumbass let out a cheeky, "Hey babe." Before he passed out bleeding all over my favourite comforter. Seconds later and a blinding flash of light, Danny was back to his normal colours. That was the day I found out he was a magical creature. That was also the day I whooped his ass for not telling me sooner, once he woke up that is. I confined him to bed rest for a week, and he was out the door after lunch the next day because something green and glowing and wicked fast flew past the window and Danny shivered like he always did before he left, shouting that he loved me and ran with busted ribs and a burn on his shoulder the size of a fairy.

I really need to tell him I'm not all human either.

Danny was clueless. He had complete faith in me there was a reason I skipped out every time I got a call from my sister or left when there was a random knock on our window that was nearly 200 meters off the ground. He never questioned why I adored the summer heat or how I burned like a wood stove in the dead of winter. Danny was clueless, or he already knew I was a dragon. I came close once, a few days after we talked about Danny being... well more or less dead I told him I knew a bit about magic and stuff. Also, Fu Dog was getting tired about having to 'play the role of a dumb puppy' as he put it while jabbing a thumb at Cujo — who was chewing on a door-stop at the time and barking at it every time it escaped his grip and whipped back and forth with a twang. That was about the only productive thing to come out of the conversation, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't just say it. At least Fu didn't have to hide from Danny anymore, there was already a lot of close calls.