Chapter 9

I was staring blankly at my reflection in the mirror once again. There was definitely something wrong with me. Why haven't I transformed into my full wolf form yet? Was there something preventing me from doing so? My eyebrows furrowed confusedly as I studied myself. The question I always asked myself popped up in my head again: Do I belong here? I seriously doubt it more and more every day. I jumped at the sudden sound of three light knocks on the door. Ever since that giant wolf frightened me, everything noise has been startling. I chuckled at myself for my own foolishness and opened the door halfway. There stood Miguel and Eris. Eris and I exchanged smiles before I cleared my throat. 

"Yes?" 

"You're going somewhere. Surprise. Let's head downstairs." Eris said positively.

I scratched the back of my head. "Uh.." I raised a brow. "Where am I going exactly?"

Eris and Miguel exchanged looks. "I don't think it's our place to say anything," Miguel said in a serious tone. "But Darla is downstairs and you should go talk to her yourself."

Ending the conversation with a scoff, I brushed past them and walked towards the stairs. I've had enough of all the surprises. Knowing how paranoid I've been recently, they should've just told me where I was going. My pack peers haven't been really patient with me anymore. I would have no problem in admitting that trying to run away from my new family included faulty logic if everyone besides Eris would apologize for not giving me time to adapt to my new life. Maybe having an ugly ego was a trait most wolf force were given. My mind instantly started displaying the moments Darla and I shared a few days ago. What we shared that night was something special, just to be ruined by untrustworthy behavior. I've grown tired of Darla selectively sharing important information that I need to know. Running down the stairs and holding the railing, I jumped from the last step as if I was 6 years old. My attention was then focused on Darla who was sitting comfortably in a red armchair. 

Her eyelashes fluttered when she looked up at me. A small grin spread across the corners of her lips, revealing a slight dimple. I couldn't help but return the grin like a middle school boy. It was hard trying to be upset with Darla. She was such a difficult yet cute person who can make you forget why you were angry in a heartbeat. It happens to me every time. Darla stood up and walked towards me. Moving a strand of curly hair from her face, she grabbed my hand to intertwine our fingers. I chuckled and raised her hand up to my lips so I could place a kiss on her knuckles.

"Hey." I said in a low tone.

She smiled. "Hi. Did Eris send you down here?"

"Yup. She told me I'm going somewhere. So where exactly am I going?" I raised a brow in curiosity.

Darla took a deep breath. She looked at the floor, then me, the floor again, and then finally me. Darla breathed heavily again as if she was over stressed. I sucked my teeth as I waited for an explanation. This girl was so hard to understand sometimes. 

"Well.." She started, sounding unsure on whether or not she should continue. "Okay, hear me out. I know you've been having a hard time with getting used to all of this. But you've been realizing that the world is not how it seems. There's a surprise behind every single thing. So with that being said, I am taking you to meet an old friend. Her name's Chantelle."

"Chantelle? What's she? Who's she?" I folded my arms. 

"Again, she's an old friend. And uh.. She's a person who deals with magic." Darla said in a shaky voice.

"A person who deals with magic?!" I yelled in full surprise. It was clear Darla didn't say the word so she could avoid freaking me out, but I knew what "a person who deals with magic" was called. There was a whole world of supernatural life out here and society was always taught that they were just little myths.