9

Nicky awoke late the next morning, and had to hurry straight to his first class, instead of going to find Daniel. He reached his maths class just as the bell went, and sat at his usual desk. Oliver and Kieran, also in this class, were sat in front of him. Nicky listened patiently for twenty minutes whilst the teacher explained a new problem, before he could talk to Kieran after she'd turned away.

"Why the hell did you do that?" Nicky hissed, poking Kieran sharply with his pen.

"Ollie told you why. He's a vampire, Nicky. They deserve every bad thing that happens to them!"

"I'm sorry about your family, Kieran, but I-"

"This has nothing to do with my family!" Kieran growled. "This has to do with vampires! They're all evil, Nicky, you know that. They're murderers, and they deserve to die."

"You don't know Daniel's a vampire." Nicky snapped. "You've got no proof. You've never even spoken to him!"

"He is one!" Kieran spat. His eyes flashed dangerously. "He's a vampire, and I'll prove it to you!"

"How?" Nicky demanded, feeling anger building in his chest.

*

Daniel and Scott walked into their art classroom a few minutes before the bell rang. William, Harry and Ben, the only other people in their class, sniggered loudly as Daniel sat down with Scott. Daniel looked at them coldly for a moment, before pulling out his sketchpad and pencils. Scott shot him a reassuring glance, which Daniel missed as the boys at the back of the classroom began to moan softly.

"Ohhhh, Nicky, harder!"

"More, Nicky, more!"

"Shut up!" Scott barked at them. They fell about laughing.

"You're his boyfriend, Scott," William sneered. "Aren't you angry he screwed around behind your back?" Scott smirked at them.

"No, actually. Last night was just a practice run. Next time, I'm joining them." Scott said smoothly, turning away from them and flipping open his sketchpad. The teacher came in at that moment, stopping any other taunts the boys might have.

Daniel endured the lesson as best he could, dreading to think of how the rest of the school would react at lunchtime. To his relief, when the bell rang, Scott suggested they go down to the coffee shop beside the lake, pick up some food there, and eat it outside.

They were walking through the entrance hall, when a hand shot from nowhere and gripped Daniel's arm tightly, dragging him back into the school. Daniel spun around, saw Nicky holding onto him, and glared.

"Let me go!" He hissed, trying to wrench his arm away.

"No. I need to talk to you."

"Well I don't need to talk to you. Let me go!" Daniel shoved Nicky away. Scott tugged Daniel's other hand gently to get his attention.

"Go and talk to him," he said quietly. Daniel stared at him for a moment, before he nodded mutely, looking reluctant. Shooting Nicky a glare, Daniel headed for an empty classroom on the ground floor. He walked inside and turned to face Nicky, still glaring. Nicky looked at him for a moment, disconcerted by Daniel's deep glare.

"I didn't film you on purpose," Nicky said finally. Daniel snorted sceptically. Before Nicky could say anything to defend himself, Daniel's fist shot out and slammed into Nicky's jaw. Nicky toppled backwards with a grunt of pain, and fell against one of the desks.

"Don't-!" Daniel began to shout, when he broke off with a strangled gasp. He backed away from Nicky, looking horrified.

"What?" Nicky spat, wiping a trickle of blood from the corner of his mouth. He looked shocked that Daniel had reacted violently to the mere sight of him.