13

"Spilt up." Jacob ordered as soon as they got out of the building. Looking back at it, Daniel saw an old hand-made wooden hut, ramshackle and falling down, which no-one would approach or even glance twice at, should they chance upon it in the woods. There was no glass in the few windows, and the roof shingles were falling away with age. "We'll meet up back at the house. Whoever gets back first, start packing the essentials; only the things we need. We're leaving at eight o'clock in the morning. Anyone not there by then..." Daniel shivered at his father's silence. Anyone not there by eight, would be left behind. Anyone not there by eight o'clock, would be dead. "Daniel, take Harry. Damon, take Lucy, Martha take Bethany. Look after each other. See you back at the house." Jacob and Emily disappeared into the trees. Glancing up, Daniel saw the forest canopy was growing gradually lighter as dawn began breaking on the horizon

"Come on, Harry." Daniel took his brothers hand and led him through the trees. As the hut faded from sight, a loud, pained howl spilt the air behind them. Daniel turned back, his blood freezing when he realised it was Nicky, in pain, howling. Harry's small hand tightened around his own fingers. Daniel looked down at his brother's frightened eyes and, steeling himself to do the unthinkable, started running away from the hut. Away from the one true love of his long life.

*

It was half past seven when Daniel and Harry finally got back to their house. They'd been lucky; they'd seen no wolves on their way out of the woods, though they'd heard the excited howls of the pack behind them. Daniel quickly checked the entire house, and shivered when he realised he and Harry were alone.

"Harry, go and start packing clothes. There's a suitcase in the cupboard opposite my room. Fetch some for everyone, okay." Harry nodded and sped upstairs. Daniel heard him crashing and banging around, pulling the suitcase out from the cluttered cupboard. Daniel sped down to the basement, unlocked the triple-locked iron door, and went into the small basement room. He pulled open the large briefcase sat on the counter and opened the single deep fridge that was there. He looked into the fridge, swallowing a mouthful of saliva as the scent of blood seeped from the many, many blood-bags stored there. Keeping his fangs firmly retracted, trying to resist the temptation, Daniel quickly packed blood into the briefcase. A-type for himself and Damon, O-type for Harry and Lucy, B-type for Jacob, Emily and Martha, and AB-type for Bethany. Daniel fastened the briefcase and ran up the stone steps, and out to the car. He loaded the blood into the boot of Jacob's car, a shiny new Volvo, and helped Harry carry his loaded suitcase down the stairs. Telling Harry to get into the Volvo and wait, Daniel drove Martha's car from the garage, leaving the keys in the ignition, and went to stand beside Jacob's car. It was almost nine o'clock before Martha, Bethany and Lucy ran up the driveway.

"Where's Damon?" Daniel demanded. "Lucy's supposed to be with him."

"We got separated." Lucy said breathlessly. "I don't know where he is." Daniel shot a look at Martha, who shook her head helplessly.

"Okay. Martha, take the kids in your car. You get going; I'll wait for mum and dad. And Damon." Daniel added firmly.

"Where are we going?" Martha asked. "We haven't had a chance to buy a safe-house yet."

"Get onto the motorway," Daniel said. "We'll meet you at the service station beside junction 45. Keep your phone on." Martha nodded, piled the kids into her car, and screeched off down the driveway. Daniel paced the driveway for another three hours, before Jacob and Emily finally appeared. He ran to hug them, and told them where he'd told Martha and the kids to go.

"Alright..." Jacob glanced at his watch and sighed, his expression sad. "It's twelve o'clock. We should leave." He and Emily made for the car. Daniel shook his head.

"Daniel, come on." Emily said firmly. Daniel shook his head again.

"I'm waiting here. Damon might come back."

"And what are you going to travel with, hm? Damon's car's stuck in the middle of nowhere."

"We've got the motorbike," said Daniel stubbornly. "I can drive it."

"Daniel, that's not worked for ten years." Emily said.

"I'll get it to work," Daniel said. "I'm not leaving him... It's my fault this happened to us in the first place, so I'm going to wait for my brother. And if he doesn't arrive and the wolves find me first, then..." Daniel shook his head. "I'm not leaving him." Emily looked at Jacob for a moment, before she nodded.

"Alright. We... might see you later, then." Daniel nodded.

"When you meet the others at the service station, call me. I'll let you know what I'm doing." Jacob nodded. Daniel stepped back as the pair of them got into the car and drove away. As soon as they were out of sight, Daniel wheeled the battered old bike from the garage. He fetched his toolkit and set to work on getting the bike to start. Working took his mind off his worry. It was old, and rusty, but the engine was still useable.

It was starting to grow dark when Daniel heard a car pull up on the driveway. He'd gotten the bike running an hour before, and was stood on the driveway with the headlights lit, illuminating the long driveway before him. Daniel frowned as an unfamiliar car stopped on front of him, and his face split into a grin when Damon clambered out of the passenger side.

"Are you alright?" Daniel asked, hurrying to help his brother. Damon nodded grimly.

"I just need some blood." Daniel nodded and ran down to the cellar. He fetched one of the few remaining blood-bags and handed it to his brother, watching as the blood strengthened Damon, and the many cuts and bruises on his face and arms healed. Damon groaned softly, and leant against the car. He looked exhausted.

"Lucy and I got separated, and the wolves were on me before I could get away. Is she all right? Did she get back here?"

"Yes, she got back with Martha and Bethany. Come on. We're taking the bike to the service station by junction 45 on the motorway." Damon nodded. "Who brought you back?" Daniel asked. Damon nodded towards the car and went to fetch their helmets and leathers. Daniel walked over to the car, and felt a thrill of pleasure run through his body when he saw Nicky in the driver's seat. Nicky, whose eyes were closed wearily, sat up when Daniel rapped on the window. Nicky stumbled from the car and threw himself into Daniel's arms. Daniel hugged him tightly, hearing Nicky's hissed breath of pain, but unable to draw himself away.

"Are you alright?" Nicky whispered.

"Yes, I'm fine. You?" Nicky nodded. "I thought Carlo would kill you." Nicky stiffened in Daniel's arms, before he drew back and smiled.

"Well, he wasn't best pleased with me," said Nicky. "But I've had worse bruises scrapping with the boys, so..." He shrugged and smiled.

"Liar," said Daniel softly. Nicky's face looked like a piece of pulverised steak. His eyes were swollen; one was completely closed, and his thick hair was matted with blood and sweat. Daniel ran his finger slowly over Nicky's cut lip, before he leant up and kissed Nicky. For the first time in his life, Daniel tasted werewolf blood. He ran his tongue slowly over Nicky's split lip, feeling his saliva start to heal the skin beneath his own lips, and smiled. Although werewolf blood smelt dreadful, Daniel found it to be even more addictive than human blood. Or, perhaps that was just because it was Nicky's blood, Daniel thought to himself. Daniel drew back from Nicky's lips and ran his tongue slowly down Nicky's cheek, gently licking the blood from warm skin, pleased to see the skin heal quickly. He felt his fangs extend and had to fight to stop himself from sinking them deep into Nicky's neck. With difficulty, Daniel took a step back and breathed deeply for a moment.

"Daniel." Nicky whispered.

"Mm?"

"You're leaving." Daniel nodded.

"Damon's fetching our leathers. We're taking the motorbike." Nicky nodded.

"Will you do me a favour?"

"Anything. After what you did for us... Anything." Daniel whispered, kissing Nicky gently.

"Will you take me with you?" Nicky whispered softly.