14

Daniel ran upstairs to find Damon while Nicky got into his car and waited. Daniel insisted he would drive, because Nicky looked so tired.

"Damon!" Daniel burst into Damon's room, and saw his brother pulling motorbike leathers from his wardrobe, searching through them to find his own and Daniel's.

"Mm?"

"Nicky's coming with us. Can you take the bike? I'll drive his car." Damon straightened up slowly and turned to face Daniel.

"You're not serious?" Damon said coolly. "You want to take him with us?" Daniel nodded. "Dan, Harry's terrified of him. Lucy and Bethany are terrified of him. He's a werewolf, for God's sake! How the hell can you want to take him with us?"

"He just saved your life," Daniel said quietly. "He could have left you in the woods to die, but he saved you and brought you back." Damon didn't have an answer for that.

"The kids are scared of him," he said stoutly after a tense silence. Daniel stared at him for a moment, before he nodded slowly.

"Alright... We'll take him with us, and go to meet mum and dad. If the kids don't want to give him a chance, then he and I will... We'll go somewhere else." Damon stared at Daniel for a moment, before he sighed and continued pulling on his leathers.

"You really love him, don't you?" Daniel nodded.

"I can't explain it, Damon. "I just... since the first time I met him, and we got this... electric shock... thing, I've..." Daniel shrugged.

"The first time you touched him you got an electric shock?" Damon asked. Daniel nodded. "Jeez, he really is your mate." Seeing Daniel's confused look, Damon grinned. "Everyone knows that when a vampire meets his mate, he gets an electric shock from the first touch. It's like love at first sight, except some don't realise it at first."

"So... since he's my mate, and everything, can he come with us to the service station?" Damon rolled his eyes.

"You angled that one perfectly, didn't you?" He said dryly. Daniel grinned at him, and ran back down to Nicky's car. Nicky had fallen asleep on the passenger seat, his knees curled tightly up to his chest, leaning against the window. Daniel slid into the driver's seat and reached over to stroke Nicky's fringe away from his forehead. Daniel gently gripped Nicky's legs and lowered them into the footwell so that he could fasten Nicky's seat belt. As he leant across Nicky, he felt the werewolf's teeth gently fasten over his earlobe and nibble for a second. Daniel smiled and drew back. He looked at Nicky for a moment, before he leant in and kissed him.

"You're coming with me to meet my parents at the service station. We'll have to decide what to do once we get there." Nicky looked at him for a moment.

"I won't... cause trouble, will I?" He asked tentatively. "By coming with you, I mean. What if-" Daniel cut him off.

"We'll figure it out," he said firmly. He leant in a kissed Nicky deeply, hearing his friend, no, his mate, Daniel reminded himself firmly, moan softly. Daniel's hand slid up to caress Nicky's cheek. Nicky angled his head, about to deepen the kiss, when a sharp rap on the window made them jump back, startled.

"Are we going, or what?" Damon asked, rolling his eyes. Daniel stuck out his tongue, and quickly started Nicky's car. Damon swung his leg over the mended bike and kicked it into life. Daniel followed him down the driveway and through the town until they joined the motorway.

*

Four hours later, in the middle of the night, they rolled into the service station and pulled up beside their family. Harry, Lucy and Bethany were asleep in the back of the car, all curled up together. Martha, Jacob and Emily were sat on the bonnet, each holding a Styrofoam cup of coffee.