"they'll never know what hit 'em"

"how's my favorite future monarch of the kingdom doing?" cordelia called to her older twin sister as she burst through the door to the kitchen. it wasn't a 100% guarantee that lacey was even in the room, but cordelia was still pretty sure that's where she would find her.

luckily for her, she was correct. there princess lacey was, sitting on the kitchen counter cross legged. she had a bundle of paper work in her lap, and a plate full of fries on the counter next to her. "i don't know if i'm going to survive to actually get a chance to be said monarch," lacey groaned, looking up at her twin. "this paperwork is going to eat me alive."

"why don't you have dad or one of the advisors help you out with it?" cordelia questioned, hopping up to sit on the counter across from lacey.

"dad... well, he's not feeling well. i don't wanna bother him," lacey sighed. cordelia and her twin exchanged a sad look. they both knew what the other was thinking. "and the advisors can't help, this needs either the king or the crown princess's signature."

"come on, gimme," princess cordelia reached out her hand expectantly to her twin.

"if the advisors find out, they're gonna make me redo all of this," lacey said, biting her lips. she was hesitant to let her twin help.

"i'm amazing at your signature," cordelia shrugged. "come on..."

princess lacey let out a sigh, handing half of the stack of papers to her twin. everything about this was technically illegal, but neither one of them cared too much. times were tough, so they had to be tougher.

"what are these papers even for?" cordelia asked as she started skimming them, signing when necessary.

"the selection. it's about all the preparations and the arrangements and some liability forms," lacey explained. the girl popped a few fries in her mouth. the kitchen was lacey's happy place. she probably did at least 75% of her work there.

cordelia groaned as she heard her sister's answer. "on second thought, maybe i won't help," the girl mumbled sarcastically. could you tell she wasn't thrilled about the upcoming selection?

"come on, dee. it won't be that bad," lacey said.

"right, because what's so bad about a bunch of gold diggers who want to be king or queen living in our home for months trying to get in our pants?" cor grumbled.

lacey scrunched her nose. "okay, of course it sounds bad when you put it that way."

"aren't you worried at all, lace?" cordelia asked, pausing signing the papers to look up at her twin.

"of course i am," lacey sighed out, setting her pen down. the princess had a slight frown growing on her delicate features.

"well, what are we gonna do about it?" cordelia asked plainly.

"what do you mean 'what are we gonna do about it'?" lacey asked, not exactly understanding yet.

"i mean, we can't just lay around this castle letting ourselves get taken advantage of. we need a plan or something to deal with this selection," cordelia said, her words growing passionate.

"come on, cor. the selections been a tradition for hundreds of years, there's nothing we can do. we're just going to have to deal with it," lacey shrugged. lace was the responsible one out of the two, if you couldn't tell.

"no." cordelia said.

"no?" lacey rose an eyebrow.

"no." cordelia repeated.

"okay, what the fuck does that mean?" lacey asked finally.

"it means, i have an idea..." an evil grin started to grown on cordelia's face. "they'll never know what hit 'em."

"no." it was lacey's turn to stubbornly say no. the crown princess was already shaking her head.

"what? you haven't even heard my idea yet!" cordelia exclaimed.

"i don't need to hear it. i don't like that look..." lacey said stubbornly. both the twins were as stubborn as could be. good luck, selected.

"but what if i told you this plan could help you ensure that whoever you choose won't just be getting at you for the money and the crown?" cora asked, a charming smile on her face. she knew she could get lacey to agree eventually. cordelia was always dragging lacey into her bad ideas. it was a patter. cordelia would suggest something, lacey would so know, cordelia wouldn't drop the subject, and lacey would give in. exhibit a...

lacey paused a moment, considering her reply. "still no." she shook her head once more.
"we can't mess with this selection. it's too important."

"exactly! it's important. don't you want to know that you can trust the selected? that you can know what they act like when they're not around the future queen of illéa?" cordelia questioned her twin.

"what are you thinking...?" lacey asked cordelia cautiously. she was intrigued.

lacey's question only made cordelia's evil smirk widen. oh, she got her. "we switch places every now and then. we pretend to be each other just to test the selected. you'll know what the selected are like around someone who's not the future queen. because if they're a total sweetheart to you, it could just be because they wanna get in your pants and get a crown. the only way you'll know is if you talk to them as me," cordelia explained.

lacey shook her head. "you've watched the parent trap one too many times..."

"come on, lace. you know it's a good idea! besides, we don't have to do it all the time. just every once in a while to test the selected. and once you know you can trust someone, we won't keep switching," cordelia said.

"okay, okay, okay... maybe. but just for the first few events... maybe," lacey finally gave in.

they'll never know what hit 'em.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: that was so so so so so so rushed and crappy, i'm sorry! if you can tell, i'm not exactly a writer

so so so so rushed and crappy, i'm
sorry! if you can tell, i'm not exactly
a writer. anyway, i hope you enjoyed
your first look at what the princesses
are like! feel free to comment
reactions and thoughts because
i'm dying for tea. also... i didn't
proofread this, so feel free to point
out typos to me!