Chapter Nine, Debt

We pull up to the beach house, and I'm reluctant to go inside. I'm not ready to leave this bubble. Madison puts the truck in park and jumps out. He walks around to my door and opens it for me, taking my hand to help me out.

We walk to the door slowly. He doesn't let go of my hand. My heart rate picks up. The anticipation pumps through my veins. We walk up the steps. I look toward the windows to make sure no ones peaking through. It's been known to happen.  The lights are on, and the cars are here, but I don't see any prying eyes.

Madison stops as we reach the front door, and I turn to look up at him. His eyes hold mine in a steady gaze.
His lip turns up a bit at the corner, and he softly grips both my hands.

"I had a really amazing time tonight," he says and looks down at our hands. "I wish so bad I didn't have to leave and go back to Florida. You're a rare breed, you know? You're smart, hilarious, down to earth," he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear, "and you're insanely beautiful."

My heart beats faster.

"I know I'm going to have to go, but..." He takes a step closing the gap between us. "I want to spend these last few days..." He leans a little closer. "With you."

I can feel his breath fan my lips he's so close. I can see tiny gold specks planted around his brown eyes. I hadn't noticed them before. I too lean in until our lips are almost touching and whisper, "I'd like that."

His hands leave mine. One wraps around my waist closing any distance between us, and the other buries itself in my hair. His lips find mine. They're soft. Gentle. He kisses me slowly. I slide one hand to his chest, and let the other rest on the side of his neck.

His lips are perfect. They move against mine like they were born for it. I wait for him to deepen the kiss, but he pulls away. I frown a little, but all he does is smile down at me.

"I told you I'm a gentleman," he gives me a sweet wink.

I can't help but think he's adorable for it, but I also can't ignore the frustration happening in my panties.

I smile up at him and tilt my head, "Strike two." I wink back and pull away.

He throws his head back and laughs. I put my hand on the door knob. "I'll text you?" He asks.

I bite my lip and nod.

He smiles at me. "Goodnight, Emery."

"Goodnight," I say and open the door disappearing inside.

A small smile plays on my face as I rub a thumb across my lip. That really was an amazing night. Madison is an incredible guy. I'm really disappointed he won't be here all summer.

"Well that was quick," Shaina says from the window beside the door. "He could've at least slipped you a little tongue."

"Honey!" Brent calls disapprovingly from the living room.

I shake my head at her. She just couldn't help herself. "He's a gentleman," I say mimicking Madison's own words.

"Boring," she whispers in my ear as she walks past.

Tell me about it.

I laugh at her and follow behind into the living room. Our parents are gathered around the coffee table with a deck of cards scattered over it. My dad looks up at me. "Did you have a nice time?"