Chapter Thirty Two, Uncertainty

When I finally recover my thoughts, they instantly go to Mason, and I take a step away from Alex, out of his reach. This isn't fair. This isn't fair to me, and it sure as hell isn't fair to Mason.

So why can I not walk away?

"Alex," I breathe.

I'm not sure what to say. Sorry, too late? I waited weeks for these words, and he chooses now to give them to me? Fuck him!

You would.

I look up to the sky, unable to look at him. I have no control over myself when I do.

"I don't know what you want me to say." I finally grow brave enough to look into his eyes, making sure to keep my distance.

He shakes his head, face calm and open. "I don't want you to say anything. I want you to take as much time as you need. I'm not going anywhere. I promise this time." His lips quirk up at that.

"No more disappearing acts?" I find myself joking.

His smile grows. "No more disappearing acts. No running." His smile fades into something much more serious. "I'm not kidding, Emery. I love you. I'll wait for you...as long as you need me to."

I fold my arms and curl my toes into the sand, rooting myself to this spot. My heart feels like it's too big for my chest right now. And though, I feel light as a feather, I know the weight of the world is going to come crashing down on me with the reality of this situation any minute.

We don't linger much longer. Alex replaces his jacket on my shoulders, and we walk back toward the lights of the party, closer than when we'd left it, both figuratively and literally.

We reach the steps to the pier, but before I can climb them, Alex stops me, hand lingering on mine.

"Hey, don't worry about Mason, I'll make sure he knows it was all me. You didn't do anything."

I bite at the inside of my cheek, unsure. "I don't know if that's such a-"

"I promise I won't talk with my fists this time," he interrupts, his lips pulling upward.

I can't stop the breathy laugh that escapes me. I take a moment to judge his face, but end up nodding in agreement. His soft smile is reassuring, but the knot in my stomach doesn't let up as I ascend the stairs.

When I reach the top, I instantly spot Mason talking fervently with Hayden and Alice, Aaron hunched over in the conversation as well.

My chest feels heavy when Hayden notices us, nodding toward me, directing all their eyes in our direction. I instantly shrug Alex's jacket from my shoulders, handing it back to him. I'm sure that didn't look at all suspicious.

It takes me a few steps to meet Mason's eyes. The blank look in them has my heart beating erratically in uncertainty. Is he mad?

He should be.

His stare doesn't linger on me long before it finds his brother, still walking too closely beside me. I do my best to inconspicuously broaden the gap between our bodies, ducking my head in shame.

Aaron wastes no time in cutting the tension when we reach them. "Hey, birthday girl, I've been looking everywhere for you. I think you owe me a dance." His wink has my breath coming out easier, and before I can answer he whisks me away toward the dance floor. I don't risk looking over my shoulder.

The DJ plays a slower song upon Aaron's request. Instead of joining the crowd of swaying bodies, he leads me to the end of the pier before twirling me and pulling me against him. The music floats to us, quieter but still loud enough to hear.