Chapter Thirty, Sneaky

"Let me help with that," my mom offers. She smiles at me through the mirror and begins adjusting the thin straps against my back.

"Thank you again for the dress mom, it's beautiful."

"Anything for my baby girl's birthday."

Last week when Mason and I had gone grocery shopping, my mom had left us to go pick up a dress. I didn't know at the time that it was for me. She surprised me with it this morning. It's absolutely beautiful.

The designer white silk hugs my torso, hanging loosely against my thighs, while my upper back is left open save for the few straps criss-crossing it.

I do a little twirl when her fingers finish neatly adjusting the material and turn to her with a smile.

"You look beautiful," she reassures through a sheen of unshed tears.

I pull her into an embrace, careful not to wrinkle her dress or smash the stray curls falling around my face.

Today is the beginning celebrations of Alice and I's birthdays. The restaurant our parents are taking us to is very posh, despite our objections, but the real party comes after, when we ditch and head to Alice's dreamland extravaganza.

"You ready?" Alice knocks softly on the door. Her smile is radiant as is her emerald green dress.

My mother gives me one last squeeze before leaving to meet us down stairs.

"You look hot," I say, eyeing Alice up and down. Hayden is one lucky guy.

"Yeah, lets say we ditch the boys and have our own party," she jokes. Her arm reaches for mine, looping them together, and we make our way to the staircase. "Are you sure you're okay if we all ride together?" She asks tentatively for the fifth time. The restaurant is an hour away in the city, and she's been worried about the cramped quarters I'll have to endure with Mason.

I nod. "Yeah. I mean, there's no reason in taking two cars, right?"

"I guess," she mumbles.

I hadn't told Alice of Mason and I's endeavors last night, and I'd sworn Aaron to confidentiality as well. When she'd asked how it went, I'd told her that I looked but never found him. I hate lying to her, it feels so wrong, but I just want to enjoy our bubble of secrecy for a little while before the truth comes out and all hell breaks loose.

I smile brightly as we reach the staircase and she hollers down its steps. "Is everybody ready?"

When a unified, "yes!" floats back up, I wave my arm in offering of Alice to go first. She giggles at the gesture and begins her descent.

This is a stupid tradition she and I had started when we were six. We'd gotten all dressed up on our birthday in our favorite princess dresses and made everyone stand at the bottom of the staircase as we came down. We watched way too many fairytale movies back then. As the years went by, the tradition somehow stuck. Now that we're turning nineteen, it seems completely foolish, but secretly, I cherish the idea of keeping my six year old self's dreams alive.

When I hear the ooh's and ah's of praise at Alice's presence, I know it's my turn to come down.

I grip the railing for support and take each step with special care, not wanting to trip. I don't realize how tight my grip is on the rail until everyone comes into view. Specifically the breathtaking sight of Mason dressed to a ten in an all black fitted suit. My heel nearly slips, and everyone moves forward in a rush ready to catch me, but I right myself before I can go tumbling down.

When I look back up, my eyes lock with his. His dark hair seems almost black against the brooding colors of the suit. His olive skin stands further to attention, making him look flawless. His lips sit in a perfect pout on his structured face, leaving me breathless. But what really gets me, as always, are his eyes. The outstanding blueness of them washes over me in waves, and it takes me a moment to realize I haven't finished walking down the stairs.