Chapter One

Here's the Prequel to the Blackwater Series!!

Reane

   Stepping onto Blackwater territory, Reane could feel the energy from her pack and vampire family. Four years, she explored all over the world trying to learn some internal lesson. She had. Seen things that was far more than she imagined. Learned to fight in unique ways through the other packs and vampires she met. Even picked up two new languages.

   With only a duffel bag hovered over her shoulder, Reane stepped off the bus at the greyhound location. The crowd of people scattered off, Reane staring around, searching for her ride. She walked a minute from the Bus lane into the main street, a car honking repetitively.

   "Reane." She looked around finding her uncle Jake, standing outside his mustang car, waving her over.

   Rolling her eyes, she moved swiftly, a little faster than normal speed. Humans could be oblivious to vampires and their slick speed. Being the child of one mom, full breed werewolf, and her other, half vampire and half werewolf, Reane was unique. She realized her wolf was more obvious in existence then her vampire. Reane only needed blood once a month or during intense situations. The sun never bothered her and she had some limitations. Not as super fast and strong as a vampire, but her werewolf side helped out tremendously. Not to mention her blood being tantalized with Fae blood.

   "Mom send you?" Reane asked, sliding into his small car, placing her duffel bag on her lap. She didn't bother trying to put it in his small trunk.

   "Of course not." Jake put his car in drive, speeding off. "She wanted to come and embarrass you. Funny thing, she hated being hugged all on when she was your age."

  Reane was twenty-six. Just about the same age when her mom, Kaliska had her.

   "Are my grandparents home?" Reane asked, changing the subject.

   "No. Lucian took Zara back to his home land. "I want me mate, to see the true Irish culture," or some shit like that," Jake tried to imitate an Irish accent and failed.

   Lucian was centuries old. Her grandmother barely reaching hers first century. Hell, Reane's mom, Maia was older than her grandmother. If their was a comedy club for the supernatural, that would be one joke to tell.

   "Is there going to be a party?" Reane asked, studying her uncle for any hidden truths.

   "Yep." She'd missed Jake's silly grin and honest approach to life. "If you mean food and the pack. Then yes! It's a party every night."

   It took them nearly an hour to reach pack territory. Pulling up on the house she'd known as pack home all her life, Jake leaped out before she got the pleasure. He was in his forties with human and werewolf years combined but appeared in early twenties. He walked up to his pregnant mate and kissed her on the cheek, brushing his hand over her belly.

   "Oh my gosh, Jake. You forgot to mention, you and auntie Rosie are having a baby." Reane rushed up to Rosalie's side, making quick eye contact for permission to touch her swollen belly. Rosalie was one of moms childhood best friends. As for Mila, she found it lonely without Rosalie and Kaliska and ended up turning two years after Rosalie.

   "Reane," the pack all came out and around the house, pulling her into hug after hug. Their love and attention was infectious.

    "Where are my moms?" Reane whispered to Sissy as she came down with her own mate. A young man who turned three years ago. Sissy was six years older than Reane.

   Sissy kissed Reane's cheek. "They are handling some business outside of our territory."

  Putting her bag in a room, Reane came back down the stairs, sitting on the porch and catching up. The door opened and closed. Walking up was her mom, Kaliska. Her moms come to visit her almost two years ago when she was in Japan. Giving her a kiss on the cheek, Reane let her mom continue to give her love. Maia followed.

   "What's going on? Why were you outside of pack territory?" Reane was inquisitive. She wanted to know what was happening.

   Everyone fell silent. Something was clearly going on. "Let's discuss this-"

   "Mom." Reane gave Kaliska a stern look, crossing her arms.

   Maia smirked. "No point in playing the protective role, Kalis. You know how irritating that is."

Kaliska groaned. "Fine." She dragged her word out, waving for Reane to follow into the living room. "We have someone on the inside working for the Sheriff's. There has been a series of killings. Sometimes one person. Sometimes a small group. And sometimes, just plain disappearances."

   They all took a seat. "What? Who's doing it?"

   "Vampires. Bloodthirst vampires." Kaliska stretched her arms out and slapped her thighs. "It was too far for us to notice at first. But gradually the vampires have been moving closer to our territory. We plan to meet up with Mona and Rebekah tonight."

   "Then I'm coming."

   Maia laughed. "I suspected you would."

   Nothing came out of Kaliska's mouth, knowing her daughter had a mind of her own. Instead she changed the subject. Barely containing a grin, Kaliska asked,  "Want to at least unpack?"

*

In her time away, Reane learned one big fact about herself. She was meant to help her pack and the vampires. Her life was half of both. Further more, Reane had a skill and a desire to use it. Not sure how she would, it seemed getting into the investigation was the best way to help her figure things out. On occasion during her travels she ended up helping local pack and vampires with things rather she intended to or not. It was only fitting she come home and do the same for her own family.

   Duffel bag unpacked, Reane decided to stay in pack home, not wanting to cramp her moms style. Truthfully, she needed to keep feeling independent. She stayed in her great aunt, Iris old room, which no one seemed to take residence in after twenty years. Iris and Paulina opened their own Manor to supernaturals in need. They were close in vampire speed, but by car, a few hours away. The location they lived in had no pack and was in need of care.

   A knock took Reane from her thoughts. Sissy walked in sitting beside her. "What's up little cousin."

   Sighing, Reane fell back into the soft cushion of her bed. "Nothing. Just eager to help."

   "Sounds like it." Sissy giggled. "Have you seen...Cynthia yet?"

   By the mention of Cynthia's name, Reane tried to tame a shudder. Sissy caught it but said nothing, which Reane was thankful for. "Not sense the last time I saw her." Reane had remembered that all to well. They'd gotten into a huge argument over Reane leaving. Four years of not seeing Cynthia had been a hard four years. Part of Reane wished she could go back and ask Cynthia to come with her. But Reane knew she needed to find her way on her own. Truth, growing up with Cynthia as a mentor to help her use her gifts only given through Fae blood, they'd grown exceptionally close. But things began to change for Reane. She remembered the night it had.

   Cynthia was giving one of her many lectures on over feeding, while using her Fae abilities at the same time. That doing both too much could put her in a frenzy. In walked one of Cynthia's Darklighters, obviously flirting with Cynthia and jealousy kicked in. Reane was only fourteen when the crush she thought was natural to someone she looked up to, turned into full desire to possess her. Reane made a fool of herself, snarling at the Darklighter and stepping in front of Cynthia like she was hers to claim.

   Being dismissed later that night didn't help to Reane's hybrid and from then on Cynthia kept a mild distance and found her moms on more than one occasion arguing with Cynthia. Reane thought after four years of distance, her attraction toward Cynthia would dampen. She was utterly wrong.

   "Earth to Reane." Sissy bumped her shoulders against her little cousin. "Where'd you just go?"

   Reane groaned. "Into the wormhole of lust," she admitted. Reane never lied or hid her thoughts and feelings to Sissy and found know reason to start now.

   Sissy chuckled. "Well, I am sure, she'll be there tonight. I'm going just so I can watch you squirm."

   And like that they were kids again as Reane shoved her and started wrestling. Seconds of that turned into shifting and running off.