Chapter Five

Reane

   "You have everything you need?" Kaliska was worried for her daughter but not enough to hinder her.

   She stored enough items to last at least five days and a silver short blade that would work to incapacitate someone for a brief time or much permanent. "Yeah mom." Reaching out to hug her mom, she patted the bed after. "I'll feel you again," she told the bed. "Maybe when I come back, both my moms will have a surprise for me."

   Glaring at her daughter, Kaliska knew exactly where she was headed. "Your mom and I have decided you are more than enough for this century."

   "But, it would be cool to have a little brother or sister. We need men in this family." Reane knew the longer she discussed this the easier her mom would get off her ass about going on this trip.

   "You can't detour from this talk we're about to have," Kaliska smiled, pointing her index at Reane for trying to distract her.

   "Mom..."

   Kaliska furrowed a brow. "You are about to head right into danger and though I know you are quite capable. That isn't what concerns me the most. It's coming home broken."

   "Mom." Reane softened her voice and sighed.

   "Don't mom me." Kaliska brushed her cheek, smiling softly. "You have your mothers passion. Every time I have been in danger or someone speaks out of term. Or she is simply infuriated by anything; especially when I am in the middle of it. Maia can make an entire village go silent. You've seen it. She speaks with so much passion. Every emotion and word is felt. And you are just like her in that way. You feels things so deeply. Empathetic. Don't lose yourself from it. Show Cynthia the truth but don't lose yourself in showing her."

   What did that even mean? Reane would figure it out soon enough. "Okay mom." Standing with her bag to the side, Reane walked down the stairs, Jake offering to put her bag in the jeep. It was Maia's jeep but when Reane was home, her mom let her have it.

   Rosalie walked up, in her last month of pregnancy. Mila stood beside her giving Reane a once over. "Don't take too long."

  "Don't worry, aunts. I'll be back much quicker than four years." Everyone laughed and got into the main seat, Reane's mom, Maia handing her a container of food. Homemade pulled pork. Reane groaned wanting a taste now. "Thanks mom."

*

Cynthia

   A horn honked and Cynthia rolled her eyes, very aware of Reane approaching. She could hear the hum of the jeep a few miles away. Reane was being playful.

   "If you need me for-"

   "We can manage. Please. Be careful." Her Captain was all too familiar with leading.

   Cynthia walked outside, caught off guard by Reane snatching the suitcase out of Cynthia's hand. She gave Cynthia no time to protest. Loading the trunk with her suitcase, Cynthia decided to take her seat in the passenger side.

   Climbing in, Reane pulled off, putting her seat belt on soon after. There was no small talk or music to fill the void between them. Cynthia was half expecting Reane to use this opportunity to try and convince her of her love. Saying absolutely nothing, only confused Cynthia. She took a quick glance Reane's way, checking to see if she was okay. When Reane looked content, as if it was only another evening, Cynthia mentally sighed.

   So they sat, for five hours until they reached the state line. Cynthia was being tortured by this silent driving, letting her own thoughts keep her from speaking first.