Chapter 01

Mark was a realist. He learned that love was not forever when he was just sixteen years old when his parents decided to divorce. When he reached eighteen Mark accepted the fact that love comes with pain from watching countless heartbreaks from friends and family. He came to a conclusion to stay away from love. Why bother loving someone when you know it will end eventually and all it will bring is pain afterward?

So in the year of 2017, Mark Tuan, who was twenty-three years old (turning twenty-four this year) has been single since birth and he intended to keep it that way. It just so happens that his best friend, Jackson Wang, had turned twenty-three as of today and the young latter insisted on going out to the club.

"It'll be fun, there's going to be lots of people and liquor which I'm sure you'll find someone to pay for you easily." Jackson had smirked on the last part when he tried to persuade Mark on going out with their friends. It wasn't what Jackson had said that had got Mark to go. He simply didn't want to be the party spoiler of their group. Bambam and Yugyeom (the two youngest of their group) was Jackson's two party animal sidekick who was going for sure. They wouldn't miss having a night of fun for the world. Meanwhile, Jaebum was always down for a time to drink some liquor with his friends. So that always left Mark being the odd one out for never wanting to go anywhere that was loud, dark, and sweaty. But today he didn't want to upset his best friend special day. So when he agreed, Jackson danced around his apartment living room like an idiot before Bambam threw a pillow at his face. That got Yugyeom and Jaebum to erupt into laughter even eliciting a few laughs out of Mark as well.

Bambam took the courtesy to dress up Mark. Getting him to wear black skinny jeans (which Bambam insisted it brings out Mark's skinny yet strong legs), a white tank top, a black fitted blazer, a pair of black formal pointed shoes, and last but not least accessories consisting of a silver watch and silver cross necklace.

"Is it really necessary for me to dress like this?" Mark questions once he looked at himself in the mirror. From the way he sees it, Bambam was the only person besides himself dressed too fancy for a club.

"Nonsense, it's your first time in a long while that you hit the club. So, of course, you need to look good." Bambam answers while fixing his recently dyed red hair by the mirror.

"Besides, I think all of us...well besides Jackson hyung are counting on you to get us free drinks." Yugyeom added sheepishly with a grin.

"Hey, you punk I don't need help." Jaebum pipes up beside Yugyeom who was sitting on Mark's bed. Ignoring Jaebum's words, Yugyeom looks at his watch before walking out to Mark's kitchen. "I think it's almost time to head out. Jackson said we need to take a shot before we leave." Jaebum spoke while following after Yugyeom meanwhile Bambam trails after him out the door. Sighing to himself Mark grabs his wallet and phone slipping them into his pants back pockets before closing his bedroom door behind him.

Right when Mark came out of the hallway Jackson called him over, "Mark! Just in time to do a shot with us!" Raising his eyebrow suspiciously Mark went to his kitchen island table where everyone was gathered. Standing in between Jackson and Bambam he goes to reach for the only shot glass filled with vodka. Lifting it up to his nose he took a sniff before taking note of just how strong it smelled to him.

After that, he looks up at the guys smiling at him, "Okay, I can only guess Jackson is the one who brought these shot glasses and the vodka."

"Guilty as charge," grinning Jackson raise his shot glass up, "cheers to my birthday and to our boy here going to the club!" As everyone raises their shot glass Mark did as follow and downed his drink in one go like everyone else. That only had him having a coughing fit as the alcohol runs down his throat. Feeling the burn he looks at Bambam with a grimace.