넷.

i glanced over her as she sat on her chair, hanging the backpack on it. today she tied her hair into pigtails, one of her favourite hairstyle of all time, she told me once. i felt my heartbeats getting faster, scanning her face in a glance. her nose was red, i noticed that.

after yesterday happened, we never talk again. well, i mean, until today. she must be awkward after all those teasings, i thought. i faked a cough, catching her attention in a second. plastering a smile on her face, she turned her head towards me. "oh, hello there. i-- didn't notice you were there, jungkook."

liar. i saw her averting her eyes as soon as she caught a glimpse of me. i didn't mean to say those things yesterday. i just, urm, wanna protect her. dahyun is secretly a scaredy cat, i noticed that. she'll get anxious when the spotlight on her. her voice will get breathy, and her body will tremble.

"look, about yesterday--"

i turned my whole body towards her direction, rubbing my nape. her mouth curved into a smile. a sweet, sweet smile. even the corners of her eyes crinkled. "yesterday? what happened yesterday?" she furrowed her brows, acting like she's trying to remember what happened. which is another complete lie, because well, she avoided me at the first place. she must remember it, right?

i swallowed hard again, now rubbing my sweaty palms together. "i know i said yesterday that you're not my type, but--" my words stopped when i heard her chuckles. my forehead crinkled at her, trying to figure out what she was doing. she chuckled again, this time waving her hand a few times in denial. her actions were telling me that she's fine with what i said yesterday.

"hey, it's fine. you're not my type neither," she confessed, a hint of confidence in her tone. confused, i blinked my eyes at her, mouth hanging open. dahyun gave me an assuring smile, hand patting my shoulder calmly. my mouth shaped into a half-grin as i looks into her eyes. her words calmed me down, but at the same time, something felt off. i don't know, but something really felt off.

"really?"

shooting a quick wink, she replies, "really."

•••

my eyes widened at the sight. is that-- it couldn't be, right? i soon grabbed my school blazer on the chair, rushing to dahyun who was making her way back home. i held her by her waist, stopping her conversation with mina. the girls stopped their tracks, giving me weird stares. faking a cough, i lifted a corner of my mouth at them.

"d-dahyun, may i talk to you for a minute?" i hugged her even tighter by her waist, turning my head at her. she was startled, it was written all over her face. hesitating for a moment, she finally nodded. she asked mina to go wait for her at the school gate, and she did as told. after she left, a relieved sigh escaped from my mouth as i let her go from my arm.

dahyun hit my hand lightly, now standing in front of me with crossed arms. lifting a brow, she questions, "what was that for? do you have something important to talk about?" her voice was tight, she seems like in hurry. she definitely doesn't seem like in the mood for anything. gulping, i locked my gaze with hers. her forehead crinkled as she waited for me to speak.

"are you.. perhaps on your period days?" i mumbled, now looking down on the floor. she frowned, even more, as a flush crept up on her face. soon, both of us were burning out of embarrassment. swallowing my saliva, our eyes met again. i rubbed the back of my neck, trying to find the most appropriate sentence to say it. "there's a red stain on your skirt, and i was wondering if--"

without hearing until the end, she hurriedly pulled her skirt to the side to find the spot. it was honestly a quite big spot of red. her eyes went round, muttering some words under her breath that i couldn't hear. her face went completely red as she panicked.

I held both her hands, preventing her from you know, having a mental breakdown. dahyun looked at me with heavy breathing. her eyes were glossy, she was clearly fighting back her tears. i felt bad for her, really. and so, i decided to help her. not much, but probably could help. i turned her body around, her back now facing me. before she could even blabber again, i tied my school blazer around her waist.

as i was tieing the blazer on her waist, i felt her body tensing up a bit. she froze, the only thing that i could hear was my breath. she glanced at me, and our gazes met. i grinned at her, finishing the last touch before turning her body back. dahyun looked down at my school blazer on her waist, his brows drew together. and soon, the corners of her mouth went up.

she looked up at me. her whole face lit up and her cheeks redden. "thank you, thank you!" her appealing voice thanked me, holding my hands and shaking it a few times. her sparkling eyes stared at me in awe, which made me flattered. well, a bit.

she bid her farewell shortly after that. me? well, my eyes still followed her tracks as she made her steps away. the way she walks told me's in a good mood. what a relief, then. if she's happy, then i'm happy too. that's the meaning of friends after all, right?

right.