Chapter 8

Max

I was so nervous, but I had to do this! When else was I going to get this chance?

"I want a divorce" I say quietly

Before I can even look up, my hand is grabbed from the table and I am pulled up,

"Nik! Let go of me!" I protest

"Shut up!" He says and I look at him in shock
I knew he wasn't going to react well but I wasn't expecting this.
He gave a few bills to the waiter and dragged me out of there.
My face was burning with the embarrassment and by now everyone in the restaurant was looking at the fiasco of our departure.
I heard a few gasps and murmurs and whispers of 'its Nik starlinksy'

He hurried me out of the restaurant and when the valet brought his car, he opened the door and told me to get in...

"Nik, I brought my own car!" I say refusing to get in.

"Don't push me Max, get in, I'll have your car delivered he says
I get in and he speeds out of the parking lot.

" Where are we going to?" I ask
I'm so angry I think I'm shaking

"My apartment" he says

"Look, I don't want to go there" I say

"Tough luck, would you rather we talk on the street about our personal matters?" He says glancing sideways at me

I just shake my head and look outside the window.

Look how my birthday turned out! It seems every big day in my life turned out bad.
I hadn't thought of our disastrous wedding day in years. I deliberately pushed it out of my mind.
The pain of that day I still held closely.
I might have changed physically but the hurt was still there. Lurking in the depths of my mind.

I sigh and follow Nik to the elevator to his apartment. Apparently, he owned the penthouse.
This was prime property, I knew he had an apartment but I didn't know it was this.

When the elevator stops on his floor, I notice its a nice place but I don't even have the energy to look.
I just get in and flop on the sofa.

He walks in and goes straight to the kitchen and comes back with two whisky's. He offers me one and I shake my head.

Why does he look so calm? I'm nervous and shaken and I don't know what to expect.

He sits in the chair adjacent to mine and looks at me dead on.

"Repeat what you said in the restaurant" he says

"Why I already told you" I say back

"I want to hear it again" he says clenching his teeth

I think I'm finally meeting the bull dozing ruthless business man people always talked about.
I won't let Nik push me around, not this time.

I take in a deep breathe and say to him

"I want a divorce Nik" I say

I look up expecting another outburst..but he asks me,

"Why? "

"What do you mean why? Can't I just want a divorce?" I ask starting to get angry again

"Tell me why or this discussion is closed" he says

"Is it that doctor I found you flirting with? Are you two going out?" He asks

"Don't even go there Nik!" I warn him pointing my finger at him

"I found you flirting with him, you're a married man Max" he says

I get up from the sofa and turn and slap him hard! His head  whips to the side and and i get satisfaction from the red mark forming on his cheek.

"How can you of all people say that to me? You've been fucking around all over the world. Everyone knows about your lovers and its published allover the magazines and newspapers, did you forget you were married?" I shout at him

He rubs his cheek and says to me,

"Max, I'm sorry!" He tries to say

I push past him and head to the door. I pull it open and get in the elevator, I hear his footsteps hurrying after me.
As soon as I reach the lobby, bright lights assault my eyes and I hear questions being shouted at me.

Who are these people? What do they want?

I groan when I realize it was the reporters who followed Nik around!
I turn and hurry back to the elevator when microphones are being shoved in my face.
There is a frenzy when Nik shows up and guides me to the elevator.

"Someone tipped them off" he says

"Get me out of here! This is all your fault!" I say to him

An hour later, I'm still pacing in his living room. The reporters are relentless. They are camping out there.
Nik has ordered for security but I still can't get out.

This is a ruined birthday! Why did Nik have to show up?

I just quit pacing and sit on the sofa. I just lay down at a loss of what to do. I start drifting off to sleep and I feel a blanket being put over me. I blink one eyes open and see Nik putting the blanket over me, one hand on the phone.
I close my eyes and sleep.

Hours later, I hear one of Niks security guys saying,

"The area is secure, we can take him now"

I immediately get up and grab my shoes and put them on.

"Let's go, I'm already" I say

"We'll talk tomorrow" he says

I don't even acknowledge that statement and hurry to the elevator. When I finally reach home, I fall into bed ready to drop dead.

If you liked this chapter, don't forget to vote and comment.