Chapter 22

Nik's

"Valerian, we are here where no one can hear us,what is it, why have been allover me, what do you need?" I ask as we are in the middle of the dance floor.

"Sorry Nik, I need some help" Valerian says eyes all pleadingly

"Okay, so this is why you have been allover me, helping me out with stuff?" I ask folding my arms around my chest staring him straight in the eye.

"Yeah,yeah, this is major" he says fiddling.

I had known Valerian for quite a while actually.

"So what's this major thing?" I ask suddenly very curious

"I want to propose to Daniel" he says

I look at him stunned!

"Wait, what? Are you serious?" I ask

Of all the things I expected him to say,this wasn't it! I thought he was going to ask for some favor of something.

"Yes, Nik, Daniel has been my partner for close to five years now. I want to make things official. I can't keep waiting for him to do it you know, so will you help me with the proposal? With you being married and all"He says

"Of course Valerian, I can tell you Daniel will be surprised. But I doubt I'm the best reference for a marriage, its complicated, Max filed for a divorce and its still pending, you know" I say awkwardly trying to hide my true feelings

" I'm sorry Nik, I know, let's set up a meeting and plan it, where is Daniel anyway?" He asks looking around.

My eyes sweep around the floor and I almost miss it but I see him standing at the buffet table sharing a dessert with Max! And they are talking with some other guy in a loose circle and they are laughing! Max has his head thrown back his hands on the other guys arm as he tries to not burst into more laughter...
I stop paying attention to what Valerian is even saying at all!

"There he is" I hear Valerian say but I'm not even concerned about him at this point! All I care about is Max.
I walk towards them with purposeful strides Valerian hot on my heels.

"Dan, where have you been?" Valerian asks going to Daniel's side.

"Oh, hi Valerian, you've been ignoring me and running off with Nik" he pouts going to hug him.

Valerian laughs and looks towards me,

"Not really,we were just sorting some issues" he says holding onto Daniel.

"Well, I've had a great time with Max" Daniel says and Max smiles but he doesn't even look my way once.

"You must be Maxmillian Starlinksy, I've finally met you after hearing so much about you from Nik" Valerian says putting his hand out.

"Max Demakide" he corrects Valerian and shakes his hand, "nice to meet you" he adds

"If you will please excuse us, Daniel has to prepare for his speech" Valerian says as they head to the other side of the hall.

When I'm left with Max. He walks straight past me and goes to sit at our table. By the time we are seated, its time for the real reason why we had the business dinner. There is a panel discussion and I'm part of that so I don't even get a chance to talk to Max before I'm needed at the panel.

I get up to head to the panel but before I can take my seat, they announce the main guest speaker of the business dinner.
I look up and groan when they announce Harold Demakide! Max's grandfather! Ofcourse they invited him. You could see the reverence on people's faces and the excitement.