My Treasure: Chapter 11

The two crews plodded along through the heavy air, making progress to their goal through a dark and damp jungle. Of course Arthur and Antonio bickered the whole way, and swords were almost drawn once or twice. Yet this did nothing to dampen Mari’s spirits, she was determined on finding this mystical treasure. Nearly nothing in the world could stop Mari, except for a mile high cliff face.

Arthur shoulders slumped in defeat, while Antonio tilted his hat back on his head to examine the wall separating the north and south of the island further. “We can’t climb it… But we might just be able to go around it.” Antonio turned on the stylized heel of his boot and snapped his fingers to get his second in command’s attention. “Find our two fastest men and send them to scout down either side of the wall to see if it spans the whole island.” Antonio’s first mate saluted, and then scurried off to do his bidding.

After hours of waiting, the runners returned; the lack luster looks on their faces were far from promising. Their report proved to be even grimmer, the wall spanned the whole length of the island and more, extending into the ocean on either side. The only glimmer of hope was that there was a thin fracture through the wall that opened on to the other side. All eyes turned to Mari, who was munching on a fruit picked from one of the various trees.

The two crews set a brisk pace in the direction of the crack, intending on finding a way through.

~~~

Mari peered through the jagged rend in the stone cliff face; how the tear in the rock came to be was a mystery to all, but it might prove to be invaluable. Antonio eagerly pushed Mari aside and measured the breadth of the gap with his hands. The Spaniard measured himself out at his widest: he would just barely fit.

Arthur looked over his crew; only he, Francis, Mari, and Jeb would be able to pass through the gap. It was definitely more people that Antonio could muster however; the only one from his crew that would fit would be Antonio himself. The two captains mentally cursed themselves for hiring such burly crew members.

The five privateers scrapped along in the fracture until they popped out on the other side. Arthur and Antonio gave instructions to their crew to wait here for their return; of course, with the added threat of them flaying the flesh from their bones if they didn’t.

Arthur consulted a map he produced from his coat pocket; he pointed an extended finger in the direction of the thickest patch of foliage. “That way and we should make it to our first stop on this little convoluted island by morning’s first light. No dilly dallying, let’s get a move on!”

Antonio scowled and crossed his arms. “Who put you in charge, bastardo?”

Mari shoved Antonio forward at sword point. “Doesn’t really matter at this point,” the raven haired beauty dug the tip in a little farther, “Just keep moving.”

Jeb chuckled dryly under his breath. “Well now we know who’s in charge.”

Francis smiled coyly as he and Jeb started along behind their captain. “Quand était-elle donc?” [1]

[1]: When was she ever not?