Chapter 5

TW: mentions of abuse

Haeun sat there, still a little shaken up

Haeun sat there, still a little shaken up. She was hugging herself, attempting to comfort herself as tears crept up to her eyes. Adjusting the dark tights on her legs, she prayed that no one would notice the blue-red bruises all over them.

Her mind was spinning, replaying the memory over and over again.

11pm. It was 11pm, but Haeun's headphones were on full volume. 11pm, but Haeun was curled up in a ball, trying her hardest to get distracted. 11pm, yet the fight downstairs was still happening full blast, sounding even louder than the pounding music.

Haeun's body was trembling lightly. She then heard the clear noise of an audible door slam, suddenly casting silence over the entire house.

Cautiously, she took out once headphone just to hear the sound of thundering footsteps coming from the hallway outside.

Her eyes widened. The door was unlocked. 

But before she could lunge at it, it was already thrown open.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING SLACKING OFF!" The scream was so loud that it caused Haeun to jump up from the wooden floor.

"Mom, I-"
"WHY CAN'T YOU BE A BETTER DAUGHTER?? I DIDN'T LET YOU COME WITH ME FOR YOU TO ACT LIKE A SMALL LITTLE BITCH! YOU'RE SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT."

And then the beating began.

Haeun looked down, staring at her palm. It was covered up by a white bandage, hiding away the dozens of small scars and cuts that she'd gotten from the empty soju bottle her mother had tucked at her.

She shut her eyes tightly, trying to erase the scene from her memory.

"What happened to your hand?"

The familiar voice made her snap upwards, finding the boy to be standing right over her. Although he tried to keep his expression cold, he was struggling, and his worry was really obvious.

Haeun pulsed her lips together as she stared up at him. This only gave Jisung the chance to scan her further, eyes widening slightly when he noticed another detail. "You have a bruise-"

But before he could finish, Haeun used her hair to cover up the side of her face, making the small bruise on there invisible.

"Haeun, what happened." Jisung demanded firmly, looking down at her expectantly.

But the girl just let out a long sigh, deciding to stand up to face him. 

"I don't have to explain anything to you." She huffed out, as confidently as possible, and then began walking away.

But Jisung quickly caught up, hand encircling her wrist and forcing her to stop.

"You're hurt, Haeun. What the hell happened? Was it Donghyuck?" He continued asking, now allowing his worry to seep into his voice.