Five

I sat at the kitchen table in annoyance as Madison was applying makeup to my face. Hayley was sitting across from me, obviously bored and paying more attention to her phone. Madison had said this would be a wonderful bonding experience for us girls and requested the boys stay in the game room. Luke fought her, saying he hasn't seen me for twelve years and he wasn't going to let Madison keep me away from him for even a few minutes. Madison wasn't very happy, but allowed Luke to stay in the dining room with us.

"I knew this color would look good on you! Cody won't be able to keep his eyes off of you." Madison said in excitement as she applied another layer of setting spray to my face.

"He already can't." I mumbled loud enough for Hayley to hear me. Cody was actually very attractive. He's not as attractive as Kellin, but I still don't want to let myself fall for Kellin. I don't want to let myself fall for Cody since he is Kellin's best friend. I don't need to notice what they look like, anyways. I heard Luke give an annoyed sigh, "I already told him to not hit on you, but he won't listen to me."

Madison giggled a high pitched giggle as she started to apply blush to my cheeks, "Let them be teenagers, Luke. What would it hurt if Avery and Cody dated?"

I looked over at Luke to see him rolling his eyes, "I don't know, maybe Avery would want to spend all of her time with Cody?"

I faked a disgusted look, "But you're old and my godfather. I don't want to spend Friday nights with you."

Luke chuckled, "You're going to have to for a while to catch up on all the time we lost."

Luke texted something on his phone before locking the screen, sliding it in his pocket, and giving me a small smile. Madison placed her hand under my chin to force me to look at her before running a mascara brush through my eyelashes. I stayed as still as possible so she wouldn't stab me in the eye until she set the tube of mascara in the makeup box she forced Luke to buy me. She gave a smile as she looked at me before pulling out a tube of coral colored lip gloss and applying it to my lips, "Finished."

I've never worn this much makeup before. Madison did something she called contouring and highlighting as well as something with my eyebrows. I think she said she was sculpting them? Madison grabbed a hand held mirror before holding it up to me. My breath was taken away as I saw my reflection. That was me?! I was actually sort of pretty. The different shades of purple and violet made my light greenish-blue eyes stand out. I gave Madison a smile, "I love what you've done. Thank you."

I looked over at Luke to see his reaction. A smile was on his face, "Avery, you look amazing with and without makeup."

Before I could reply, Cody came into the kitchen. He paused when we made eye contact. He seemed frozen as he stared at me in awe. Madison gave another high pitched giggle, "I told you Cody wouldn't be able to keep his eyes off of you."

Cody rolled his eyes as he spared Madison a quick glance, "I see you still don't know how to keep my name out of your mouth."

Madison gave Cody an innocent smile, "You and Avery would make an adorable couple."

"No dating talk yet. I'm not ready for that. She's still a baby." Luke said in annoyance from behind me. I rolled my eyes. No rules? I think I have a no dating rule.

Cody walked over towards me and sat in the kitchen chair beside me, "You do look really pretty."

I hoped what he was saying was true, especially after his reaction when he saw me. But deep down I knew he was only saying it to please Hayley. I gave a smile - a genuine smile, "Thank you. Are you going with us to dinner?"

Cody nodded, "Of course. My best friend's best childhood friend is back, and I wouldn't miss spending time with her."

"You wouldn't, huh?"