Seven

I sat at the table quietly and listened to the storm outside as everyone talked around me. It's funny to learn that my dad loved storms because I love them, apart from the thunder. Sometimes the thunder gives me that chest tightness and all I can think about is the wreck. Maybe the loud booming reminds my subconscious about the sounds the car made while we wrecked? Either way, it makes me uneasy sometimes.

"So, Avrie, what's it like to be orphan when no one wants you?" Madison asked, slurring her words and leaning on her arms to hold herself up.

Alex mouthed sorry to me before putting a hand over Madison's mouth, "She isn't an orphan; Luke and I want her. If you're going to say rude things then I will take you home."

"Are you going to blackmail Madison into saying nice things?" Hayley asked as she sipped her Coke.

I heard Kellin pop her in the arm, "It's not the time, Hayley."

Luke sighed and I looked up at him. He was looking at me with worry clearly etched on his face, "Don't listen to her, Avery. We want you here and we love you. Madison just has a problem of starting drama when she drinks."

I gave a shrug, "It doesn't bother me. Kids at school used to say stuff like that to me. I block it out."

"I wanna know what it was like theres. We can adopt, Allie." Madison said as she leaned onto Alex. He rolled his eyes and looked over at me before mouthing to me, 'Sorry, she's drunk.'

I shrugged and gave a little smile. She might be drunk and they might think she's being rude, but she's thinking about adopting. Some of those kids have been there their entire lives. I've said I want to adopt to make at least one of those kids' life better. I feel even more strongly about it now that I was at one of the centers for a week than I did when Seth told me I always said I wanted to adopt after the wreck. I've seen some of the kids that look like they've been in the system their entire life. I want to help one of them. I looked over at Madison, "It's rough, being in there and thinking you're not wanted. I went in having been loved by a wonderful family. Some kids in there have never felt that kind of love and they're the ones I want to get out."

Madison leaned into Alex more and smiled up at him, "Let's go adopt right now!"

Alex shook his head, "It isn't that easy. You have to go through years of tests before the government thinks you're fit enough for adoption."

"Come on, Allie. You're thirty. Don't you want a kid before you get too old?" Madison asked as she leaned onto the table and finished off her drink. Alex sighed as he looked up at Kellin before looking down at the table, "I've told you, I don't want kids."

"But you fought for Kels. Why did you do that if you didn't want kids?" Hayley asked in annoyance.

Alex and Luke both snapped their eyes to Hayley. Kellin popped her on the arm again, which she ignored apart from rubbing her arm slightly. Alex narrowed his eyes at Hayley, "Kellin's mother was unfit to raise him. Plus, I had Luke and Vince to help me raise him."

"All we need is my mom here to make this the most awkward family dinner ever." Cody said as he scooped up some of his chicken Alfredo noodles and stuffed them into his mouth.

I gave a little shrug. This wasn't that awkward to me. Sure, Madison might be drunk and Hayley might be rude, but everything else is fine. I honestly don't mind Madison one bit. Hayley could be cut out and it would be a better dinner. I looked up to notice Alex was staring at me. I raised an eyebrow, "What? Sorry, I zoned out."

Alex gave a little chuckle as he sent me a smile, "I was wondering what that look on your face was. Are you finished eating?"

I nodded, "Yes, sir."