s i x | m a r k

A/N
Sorry for the short chapter lol- btw this is a trilogy so it'll just take time oof

Chapter 6: Hey Mark

"Ummm. Hi Mark"

"Hello, Admin number two," The voice exclaimed in so much enthusiasm it didn't even seem natural.

This was followed by quite an awkward silence on Izuku's part, but 'Mark' was humming happily in the background.

"Izuku," The freckled greenette said casually.

"Hm?" He hummed.

'What kind of robot says hm?!'

"You can call me Izuku. None of this admin number two stuff fits me," He shrugged.

"Okay! So, Adm- I mean Izuku! How can I help you today?"

The teen was stunned for how human-like this apparent system was! He wondered if it even was a robot.

"Does your name stand for anything? Like an acronym?" He asked, taking a quick sip of his provided thermos and sitting down on a sleek glass chair surrounding a small round table, talking into the echoing personal gym.

"I don't know," Silence," So, I just looked up acronym, and I understand your question, but I do not know. Mark is my name"

'We are getting nowhere'

+=+=+=+=+

"You know what. Let's get straight to the point," Midoriya muttered under his breath.

His questions did little to pick out any answers other than 'I do not understand' and 'Sorry can you repeat that'.

He was getting frustrated and that was the weird part. He didn't remember having such a short temper.

Usually he was quite calm but now, he felt like he could kill somebody out of this petty squabble.

It's not even an argument: Half of the people involved are completely oblivious to the situation.

Oh, how things have changed.

+=+=+=+=+

"You know what?"

"What?" Mark asked, still dripping with enthusiasm but something else was in there too.

Annoyance?

"Are you... y'know. Real?" Izuku shut his eyes, anticipating a violent outburst.

Everything seemed to be greeted with violence, these days.

Instead, he was greeted by silence.

A rather uncomfortable one at that.

It lasted for about 30 seconds, but felt like an eternity: But in the end, he got an answer.

"Well, we're all real in one way or another"

It may be confusing. But no matter how weird: It's an answer.

Some things you just don't push: real. Or not.

+=+=+=+=+

The equipment and machines in the gym worked smooth and without issue. Everything seemed useful, even Mark helped him out. There was a point system that would record all the calories he burned, how much time per machine, his estimated amount of effort and so many other things.

All of these things were taken into account and he earned points that were recorded on the flat screen 66inch Display screen in front of the Treadmill section.

Izuku started small talk with the mysterious computer system called MARK. He still didn't know what to think of him- but he'll see where it goes.

Since he's tried out most of the mechanisms at this point, he had a favorite: The Elliptical.

He had spent a total of 46minutes and counting on it, talking with Mark while doing so.

Sometimes awkward, sometimes not.

"So, what are your interests?" He huffed out, while pushing and pulling back, while also working on his legs on the Elliptical.

He didn't think he'd get tired his quickly. But being strong is different from being fit, he overestimated himself. But that just fuels the fire.

They have found a few diamonds in the rough in terms of things in common: Such as analyzing data and situations, sometimes even people.

"I don't have many physical activities, for obvious reasons," They shared a light chuckle: But for different reasons.

"But I love playing simulations. In my mind and computerized versions," He whispered, like he was ashamed to talk about himself.

Uncomfortable even.

All things aside, over the past couple of hours Midoriya had learned not to question the weird wording or phrases or even structure of his sentences and answers or questions.

It wouldn't get him anywhere, and would make it more awkward than it has to be.

Half of his mind and power was on exercising anyway.

"I've got this collection of notebooks that have detailed analysis. In My opinion anyway. On every hero on the internet," He said, almost out of breath.

"Cool! Who wrote it?"

"Um Actually, I did. Maybe I could send, email, fax whatever it to you. I'd love for you to give me our input, "He strained out.

He was trying really hard to be nice but not everything is for everybody.

"...nice, Izuku"

'He's definitely hiding something'

"How about a twist of events!"

"What?" Izuku asked confused.

"An obstacle course, of course!"

Izuku smiled. He could practically feel a grin from the 'Mark'.

Or rather: Mark.

Mark, the sketchy best friend.

+=+=+=+=+

"What time is it, Mark?" He asked cautiously, eyeing his watch to confirm whatever answer he was given.

"Lemme check," He replied.

'To heck with these awkward silences'

So Izuku started whistling. Some say it summons ghosts to whistle indoors, but Midoriya doesn't believe in such things and would like to not think about that in the first place.

He's sweaty, working out in an abandoned warehouse with a nice interior, in the sketchy part of japan and led there by a villain he hugged.

There's only so much someone can mentally take until they break.

He's almost at his limit.

"It's nine twenty-seven"

'Accurate. I like that'

And of course, it matched his watch.

+=+=+=+=+

"I must be going soon, Mark. Got things to do, people to see, places to go"

"I'll see you tomorrow then!"

His eyes widened.

He didn't plan to come back until next week. But he can't possibly decline.

He's stuck in the circle of social pressure.

'Oh hell'

"You don't have to come back if you don't wa-"

"Nonsense! I look forward to seeing you again," He bowed, smiling a grin that could melt a woman's heart and grabbed another black thermos full of blue liquid.

And with that, he exited:

Leaving everything as he found it.

But at the same time, a total mess.