t e n | water

Chapter 10: Water Break

Izuku came to the conclusion that he really really liked this gym. More than average. It wasn't the musical selections that kept him pumped up during his workout, it wasn't the range in different machines that kept him occupied, it was her.

Izuku's dim jade eyes twinkled a bit as they locked gaze with a gorgeous brown pair.

He almost choked on his water at the sight of the familiar brunette in front of him. It was partially because he didn't expect to see her, and a little because of what she was wearing. It wasn't revealing or anything- this was a public place.

He just thought she looked really cute in her navy sports leggings and pink activewear tank top. She twisted to see him, her shirt exposing the tiniest sliver of her slender midriff that frazzled his teenage mind.

"So I'm guessing I look great, based on how long you've been staring," She giggled. He thanked every god he knew that there weren't a lot of people around, and that she didn't mistake him for a pervert.

"U-Umm S-sorry. I just wasn't expecting to see you here," He replied, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck," B-But yeah. You look good".

She laughed, but he noticed the tips of her ears were burning red," Th-thanks, I guess." There was a long pause, she shifted on the bench.

"We should really stop meeting like this," He grinned, a light blush grazing his cheeks," It's a little awkward. Last time was way more comfortable."

"You think?" She joked, her permanent blush darkening a little.

"I know right! But I'll admit, it was a little upsetting knowing you liked the mochi more than me." His smirk teased her to the point where she would probably kiss him if she didn't look away.

When she met his eyes again, he was closer than before, and she decided that he thought he was slick.

"Well, I did," She retorts as he fakes his hurt feelings.

His eyes were bright with humor. She liked them like that. It was a contagious sort of happiness. It lit her up inside, fireworks exploded in her head and she wondered if he heard them too. In a different universe, maybe he could.

"Pffffft, I'm kidding, you dork," She laughed, impressed that she had turned the tables on him like that.

'Now, where have I heard that laugh before,' He wondered. But he didn't let it show. He didn't put that question as a priority, not wanted her to think he was weird. He was not weird.

Maybe a little.

_________

"Your uncle's a police officer?" He asked, his forest green eyes significantly less dim. They were bright. Alive.

"Yup! That's how I got a membership to this place."

"That's so cool! This is my first time here, and it's honestly really nice. Especially since you're here," He winked, causing her face to flare up with a blush.

She tucked a loose strand of her chestnut hair behind her ear," Well well I can't believe the Izuku... is a flirt," She finished quietly. When they locked eyes again, she frowned, " I don't know your last name."

He gave her a dry, fake smile," It's Midoriya." He almost wanted to throw up at how foreign it sounded on his tongue. He wanted to punish himself for how much he hated saying it.

If she noticed his small shift in mood, she didn't say anything. She just nodded and dropped the conversation.

"What area have you been focusing on today? I've been working on my stamina for my 1500 meter race thing at school," She says, taking a sip of her water bottle.

"A little cardio," He answers," Long distance runner, eh?"

"Ya got that right." Her aura changed," I'm planning on winning that fifteen hundred. Those girls are gonna-"

"Woah woah woah there. Does Miss Ochako have a competitive side?" He teases, absentmindedly running a hand through his hair.

Her words fail her as she watches him laugh and run a hand through his green hair in a somehow attractive way. She liked how he looked at that moment. So carefree. She wondered how many others saw him so free. So happy.

She decided she'd making him smile like that more often. And maybe- just maybe- she'd feel a little more unchained in the process.

Maybe.

_______

The purple haired twins watched the two talk and laugh and be happy, from afar. Mirth, mischief, and a little bit of shock danced together in their matching grins.

Hentai chuckled as his brother, Nakamo Rakkasei, quirked an eyebrow," I wonder what Hanzai's gonna do when he finds out someone's getting comfy with his niece."