Chapter One: The King's Ruling

The only sound in the room was the wine pouring from Jared's pitcher into Evan's chalice.

     "That's enough." Evan decided, and Jared pulled the pitcher away, resuming his position next to the king. He stood silently, even though he wanted nothing more than to speak up.

Before them, on her knees, was a woman, silently weeping.

"Have forgiveness on me, your grace." She spoke. "My daughter may be a traitor to the crown, but I am not!"

Evan watched her carefully. "A mother is most often loyal her children, is she not?"

"Your grace-" She began to argue.

"Is she not?" Evan cut her off, staring daggers at her.

"No, your grace." She replied quietly.

Jared clenched his jaw. It was known throughout the realm that Lady Zoe Murphy had begun a rebellion against the throne. Although it seemed the rebellion could be stifled quickly, the group had already taken over the city of Heronfield. This wasn't the time to ignore the rebels.

The rebellion had first began a couple months after Evan had first taken rule, he had finally come of age to take the crown. Before, his mother had acted as the ruler. His father had disappeared while Evan was young, and no one had seen a trace of the former king since. Some of the rebel's believed the queen and prince had conspired to murder the former king, while others believe the king was still out there, and that he deserved to rule. Either way, the group thought that the king and former queen were a rotten bunch, and deserved death.

Which, Jared admitted, made sense, considering how Evan ruled his people. Watching him, Jared began to realize that Evan didn't understand people. Everything was always black and white to Evan, good and evil, which sometimes made him harsh and even cruel.

However, Jared still felt that dragging Lord Larry Murphy's wife into court was a new low. The woman clearly had no place in the rebellion.

Evan squinted his bright blue eyes at Lady Murphy. "Until the rebellion has been eliminated and I have your daughter's head, I must have you detained in the castle." He waved his hand at the guards. "Your son will also be stripped of his land until then too. I'll send a raven for him to arrive in the capital as soon as possible."

Jared looked over at Evan, eyes wide. "Your grace, I must advise-" He started. Before he could get the last of the words from his mouth, he was being smacked.

Jared stumbled to the floor, the wine from the pitcher spilling out onto his shirt and the floor.

"The next time you question me, I'll have you in the stockade for a day." Evan hissed. "You're lucky I haven't decided to hang you from the castle towers by now. Clean that up."

Embarrassed, and quite frankly angry, Jared pulled himself up and left to find a rag.

He knew why exactly why Evan hadn't put his head on a stick yet, he owed him, and he would've hated for anyone to know.

Jared had saved Evan's life a long time ago, and it would've been dishonorable to not repay the debt.

Jared returned with the rag and mopped up the wine. As he bent down, he could've sworn he felt Evan watching him very closely.

~~~

"Your grace, what do you wish to wear to dinner tonight with Lady Hansen?" Jared asked, stripping the boy of his cloak.

Evan ran a hand through his hair. "Ah, I suppose my purple shirt will work."

Behind his back, Jared secretly rolled his eyes. As if Evan didn't have a dozen purple shirts. "Which purple shirt, your grace?"

"Oh, ah, the one with the white collar." Evan shut his eyes, sighing as he waited for Jared to pull out the shirt.

Jared retrieved the clothing item and gently began to fit Evan into it. His fingers brushed along the bare skin of the boy's back as he worked. When he was finished, he faced Evan.

"Anything else I can do for you, your grace?" Jared asked, tilting his head.

Evan simply stared at him for a second, his eyes focused on Jared's cheek. "I gave you quite a bruise earlier."

Jared looked down, half annoyed and half upset.

"When your king asks you a question, you answer." Evan said firmly. Jared still found it hard for Evan to be imitating. Then again, he had never faced the fear of being executed by him.

"Yes, your grace." Jared said through gritted teeth.

"Perhaps now you've learned your lesson." With that, Evan stood and marched out, leaving Jared alone in the boy's chamber.

He snorted, rolling his eyes as he cleaned up the room. What a prick.

Jared wished he could announce to every peasant, nobleman, lord, lady, and knight how much he had seen their king cry as a child. How their king had been terrified of the dark until the age of 11. How their king had once come to him bawling in the night due to some wet sheets.

It was hilarious really, seeing Evan run a kingdom. If anyone in Winterhold deserved to be king, it most certainly was not Evan.

When Jared finished making the bed he made his way to the dining hall to help serve dinner. He entered the kitchen, passing the cooking maid along the way.

"Hello, Jared!" The cooking maid, Alana, chirped.

"Hey!" He smiled as he turned to look at her.

She quickly frowned, "What happened to your face!" She set down the dough she had been kneading to cup Jared's face. "Did he hit you again?"

Jared winked at her, "Just part of the job." He snatched up a tray of pork and began to head out to the dining room.

Alana called out after him, "Honey, someday that boy will be begging you for mercy as you hold a sword to his neck!"

Jared chuckled, pushing the door into the dining room. It was funny to imagine himself taking over the crown. Besides, swords and battles had never been his thing. If he needed something done, it was always much easier to use daggers and poison,

Gently, Jared set the tray down at the table and took his place next to Evan, remaining quietly. Across the long table was Lady Heidi Hansen, the king's mother. She smiled at Jared as he had come in, she had been the reason for Jared's arrangement as Evan's personal squire. She had owed his father a debt.

Guess it runs in the family.

"I'm arranging for two hundred men to be sent to Raven's Rock immediately." Evan informed his mother between bites. It was common for Jared to hear snippets of battle plans. If he had cared enough, Jared could've made himself rich by selling secrets.

"How many will remain about protecting our own city?" Lady Hansen asked.

"I figured five hundred would be enough to protect the capital." Evan had cleared his plate and waved for Jared to fetch the potatoes which sat in the middle of the table.

Suddenly, the door slammed open, and in came a tall, dark haired boy dressed in fine armor. Angrily, he strutted up to the table, driving his heavy broadsword into the end of the table.

Evan was pale at the end of the table, his eyes wide and his mouth agape. He looked more like a frightened child than a mighty ruler in this case.

The boy tugged his sword out of the table and glared at the king.

"I am Lord Connor Murphy of Raven Rock, you have stripped away my land and my title and bid me to arrive here in the capital. I have gladly arrived only for you to clear my name and return what belongs to me."

From across the room Jared smiled. Maybe things were about to get interesting.