Chapter Three: Sending Flowers and Other Activities

The next day Jared arrived in Evan's chamber to dress him for the day. It seemed that some sleep, or perhaps it was lack of sleep, had made him crueler than the day before. As Jared worked, he was met with smacks, hair pulling, and curse words. This time, Jared kept his mouth shut. Last night had been different, he had had the upper hand somehow.

"Don't you know how to button a pair of pants?" Evan demanded when Jared's hand had slipped, accidentally brushing against the other boy's crotch.

"Sorry, my lord." Jared murmured, buttoning it up correctly.

"It's your grace!" Evan scorned, hitting Jared on the side of his head. "Learn how to address your king!"

"Sorry, your grace." Jared sighed, pulling in Evan's shirt.

"Better." Evan mumbled. Jared noticed that wherever his hand brushed Evan grew goosebumps. "What's my schedule for the day?"

"You have breakfast with Lord Connor this morning, he requested to know the details of his service." Jared answered. "Then at ten you are being fitted for attire to Lady Beckon's wedding-"

"Have we arranged a gift already?" Evan asked, looking himself in the mirror. Jared grabbed a brush and gently combed it through the boy's hair.

"Yes, your grace, I sent a bouquet of yellow hyacinths." Jared replied.

"Idiot." Evan scoffed. "Don't you know yellow hyacinths means jealously? Send another bouquet of red carnations with an apology, Jesus Christ Lady Beckon is gonna think I'm secretly in love with her."

"Sorry, your grace." Jared faced Evan and brushed the boy's bangs from his forehead. Evan swallowed, his breath hitching for a second. Then, he suddenly leaned forward and pressed his lips to Jared's.

Jared froze, unsure of what he was suppose to do. His king was kissing him.

    Evan placed his hand on the back on Jared's head, preventing the boy from moving. Gradually, Jared began to kiss back. He kissed carefully, for fear of Evan smacking him or shoving him away. Gently, Jared slid his hands so they were around Evan's waist.

    Then, just as suddenly as the kiss started, it stopped. Evan jerked away from Jared, wiping his lips. For a second, Jared shoes away, worried he was going to be hit. Instead, Evan looked at him with wide eyes.

    "Don't you dare tell anyone about this." Evan stormed out of the room, leaving Jared alone.

    Jared sat on the edge of Evan's bed, knowing fully that he wasn't supposed to, and stared off into space.

~~~

    "You're telling me that this morning he just leaned over and kissed you?" Alana asked, stirring a pot of stew.

     "Yeah! I had finished dressing him and I was brushing his hair and he just kissed me!" Jared sat on the counter in the kitchen, snacking on a piece of bread Alana had made for him. "Oh yeah, and I'm not really supposed to be telling you this, so keep it on the hush hush."

    "I would imagine he would like to keep this covered up, could you imagine what would happen if it got out that the king had kissed you?" Alana shook her head. "Even more would join the rebellion."

    "What am I supposed to do? Just pretend it didn't happen?" Jared bit his lip.

    "Do whatever he wants you to do, it's the only thing that'll make sure your head doesn't end up on the chopping blocks." Alana turned to look at Jared. "You've entered into a very dangerous game, you have a secret of his. It's a wonder you're not dead already."

    "I don't think-" Jared was interrupt when a maid entered the kitchen.

    "Jared, your presence is requested by Lord Connor in the drawing room." She told him, them exited.

    Jared raised an eyebrow at Alana, "What do you think that is?" He asked.

    Alana shrugged, "Who knows, it seems that perhaps something is going around here. I know it's not the food, so I don't know what's happening, perhaps it's a full moon."

    Jared chuckled, "You're too superstitious." He hopped off the counter and headed to the door.

     "Keep that in mind when Lord Connor sucks your blood or uses your hand for a ritual." Alana hummed.

    "The day I see magic is the day I marry the king." Jared opened the door and left, heading for the drawing room. When he arrived, he was met with the sight of Lord Connor sitting on a sofa, a glass of whiskey in his hand.

    "Come in, come in." Connor gestured with his hand which held the glass.

     "You requested to see me, my lord." Jared walked over.

     "Yes, I would like your company, sit."

    Hesitantly, Jared stiffly took a seat at the end of the sofa, studying Connor.

    "Wine? Whiskey?" Connor offered, but Jared shook his head. Connor scoffed. "There's no use talking with a fellow unless he is drunk, I'll pour you some wine."

    Jared accepted the cup when it was given to him, but only took a small sip. "May I help you with anything, my lord?"

    "Just call me Connor." Connor shrugged, sitting down on the sofa once more, this time much closer to Jared.

    "Alright, Connor, may I help you?" Jared asked again.

    Connor smirked, "He did say you had a smart mouth."

    Jared's heart skipped a beat, Evan had been talking about him, what else did he say?

    "Well, people say a lot of funny things." Jared took another sip.

     Connor gave a small laugh, "Oh? And what do they about me?"

    "I imagine you know that, traitor." Jared raised an eyebrow at him.

     Connor looked surprised and amused, "I've never met a servant boy as clever as you."

    "And I've never met a Lord that speaks with as little sense as you-" Jared was cut off by Connor pressing their lips together.