Chapter Six: The Rebel Camp

Alana arrived at the rebel camp by sundown. She was sore, she hadn't ridden that far since she was a girl.  She hopped off the horse, landing on the ground with a dull thud. The camp had been set up on the side of a large hill for protection, clearly the rebels were planning on staying for a while.

    At the front of the camp were two guards. Alana tied her horse up and stroller up to them.
A
    "Halt!" One said, sticking his arm out to stop her. "Who are you?"

    Alana stuck her nose in the air, "I am Alana Beck, I have come to pledge my allegiance to rebel leader Zoe Murphy."

    The guards' eyes opened wide, "As in the Alana Beck, daughter of Albert Beck?" One asked.

     Alana pursed her lips, nodding. She hadn't heard her father's name in a long time, he was not spoke of in the capital. "I am."

    "Come right in." The guards backed away.

    "Is Zoe open for visitors?" Alana asked. The two guards looked at each other.

~~~

    Jared woke up with a headache.

    What had happened?

    He looked around, he was in front of the back gate to the palace. It was nearly sundown. Luckily it seemed that no one had thought of the back entrance. He scrambled up to close it.

    In the distance he could hear the sounds of cannon fire and people shouting. The battle must still be at it.

    Jared dusted himself off and wondered if he should tell Evan about Alana's betrayal. Her name would become at the top of his most wanted list. After all that happened with her father...

~~~

    Alana was brought to Zoe's tent promptly. As she walked there were whispers among the soldiers and those others in the camp. For once she felt she could stand tall being a Beck.

    Zoe was looming over a map of the capital, a group of trusted advisors surrounding her. She looked up when Alana and the guards came in.

    "Who is this?" Zoe asked.

    Alana knelt before her, sticking her sword in the soft dirt. "I am Alana Beck, I have come to pledge my allegiance to your cause."

    "No need to kneel before me." Zoe said, reaching a hand out and helping Alana up. "Alana Beck... It was terrible to hear about father, my sincere condolences."

     "Thank you, my lady." Alana stilled bowed her head.

    Indeed, Alana's father had been the spark for the rebellion. Her father had been a well respected tradesman, traveling to every city in the land. He had become incredibly wealthy and King Evan didn't like that...

~~~

    "I believe you have stolen money from the crown." Evan sat on his throne, staring down at the man.

    "No, your majesty." Her father insisted, shaking his head.

    "Your goods, they are selling quite well, are they not?" Evan demanded.

    Her father hesitated, "Yes, but your maj-"

    Evan stood, his eyes piercing, "Your sale of items is taking away from those my kingdom is selling." He shouted. "You're earning my people's trust, which should be for their king! This is treason!"

    "But-"

    "Execute him!" Evan shouted, throwing himself back down onto his throne. The guards moved in for Alana's father.

     "No!" Alana shouted, trying to get to him. A guard grabbed her.

    "Would you like to send her to the gallows as well, your majesty?" The guard holding her asked.

    Evan considered this, "No, send her to the kitchens, we could use her."

~~~

     Zoe's eyes lit up when looking at Alana, "You could be a very powerful voice in our rebellion."

    "That's all I want to be, I just wish to help the cause." Alana nodded.

    "Very well, we can arrange that."

~~~

    When Jared reaches the city, the battle had begun to wind down for the night. It seemed that the rebels would try to wait them out.

    Jared wandered through the streets, trying to find where Evan and Connor were staked out. The streets were empty, every woman and child were tucked away in hiding and every man on the tops of the walls around the city, equipped with either a cannon or a bow.

    Finally, Jared spotted the king on the wall near the front gate. He looked tired.

    "I am back, your majesty." Jared said, bowing.

    Evan turned to him, "Where have you been all day, we could've used you!"

    Jared hesitated, "Well... there was a rebel by the back gate, but it was taken care of."

    "We're just glad you're okay." Connor said. "Besides, we got along just fine without him anyway."

    Evan huffed, "I suppose."

    "We should get some rest for the night, the men have it handled here. I think in a couple nights we can have them back off anyway." Connor said.

    "Alright." Evan agreed.

    Connor's eyes seemed to twinkle, "Besides, I have a proposal that just might give us the upper hand."