Chapter Five: This Means War

Jared awoke squished between two sleeping boys. He grinned gently, remembering the night before. He turned over on his side, so Evan was spooning him and his face was pushed up against Connor's chest. He felt Connor stir.

    "Good morning." He mumbled, opening an eye to look at Jared.

     "Morning." Jared smiled softly, from behind him, he felt Evan twitch.

    Unexpectedly, the door to the chamber opened. Evan sat straight up, a sheepish maid stood in the doorway. "The rebel Zoe Murphy is launching an attack on the city, your grace." The girl fiddled with her apron. "Her army is at the front gates."

    Jared noticed Evan go pale, "Get the soldiers up as quickly as possible, set up a line of archers and bar the front gate." The girl nodded and ran off. "Jared, fetch my armor."

     Just like that, Jared was climbing out of the warm comforts of the bed to prepare his king for war. He threw on his clothes and began to get Evan ready. Connor got up too, heading to put his own armor on.

     As Jared began to dress Evan in never before used battle armor, Connor hesitated at the door. "I suggest we simply defend the city, not try anything risky. The wall around the city is made for defending against invaders, and if they try to wait us out we have three months of food stored."

    "I agree." Evan said as Jared finished strapping up his armor. Connor nodded and headed out.

    Jared stepped over to the mount that held the king's sword, the sword had belonged to Evan's father and his father before him, being handed down to next rightful king. It was a pretty thing, a brilliant silver with jewels embedded in the hold. It was well taken care of, and sharp enough to cut a man's head off with a clean slice. Gingerly, he plucked the long sword from its place and gave it to Evan.

     "Jared, I have an important task for you." Evan said, resting a hand on the boy's shoulder. "I need you to bar the back gates so no one gets in and no one gets out, understood?"

     "Of course, your grace." Jared nodded.

    Evan smiled gently, "Just call me Evan." With that, Evan turned on his heel and headed out the door.

    Jared took a deep breath before heading to the back gates, which could only be accessed through the castle gardens.

    He hurried down the hallway, passing servants and nobles that were running to shelter. If the army were to get inside the gates, it was certain many would be killed.

    It was only when he stepped out into the gardens that he realized that he was half dressed. Only a couple buttons on his shirt were buttoned up, and in the morning confusion he had accidentally put on Connor's pants, which were too long and balled up around his ankles.

    Ignoring this and figuring he'd get dressed properly when he got back to the castle, Jared trudged forward.

    However, as he reached the gates, someone else on a horse came galloping up behind him.

    "Alana?" Jared asked, hand on the door. "What are you doing here? Whose horse is that?"

    "I'm leaving to join the rebel army." Alana said. "The guards are all at the wall, I stole it from the stables."

     Jared's eyes widened, "You what?"

    Alana held out a hand, "Come with me Jared, I hear Zoe treats everyone, no matter their class, as equals. Under her we could get what we truly deserve, King Evan would no longer be able to hit you."

    Jared swallowed and paused. "I'm sorry, I can't do it, I can't leave him."

    Alana went quiet for a second, "I'm sorry too." Before Jared knew it, Alana was galloping towards Jared. As she passed by, she hit his head with the hilt of her sword, making Jared fall to the ground and black out.

     She escaped through the back gate, and rode off.