Chapter Seven: The Proposal

In the rebel camp Alana had been given her own tent. It was small, but it wasn't as if she had brought many belongings with her anyway.

    Carefully, she unpacked the small bag she brought with her. It only carried a few sentimental items and her writing stuff. She pulled her notebook from the bag along with her quill and set it down on the desk at one corner of the tent.

    Sitting down, Alana flipped through her notes. Years worth of blackmail material and secret information on King Evan. When she reached a blank page, she dipped her quill into the ink and began to write.

    She hadn't gotten the chance to write about Jared's experience with King Evan and Lord Connor yet. It was highly unusual, which was why it would be valuable information when she handed her notebook over to Lady Zoe.

    "Lady Alana." A guard appeared in the entrance of the tent. It had been forever since she had been called a lady.

    "Yes?" Alana asked, setting down her quill and closing the notebook.

    "Lady Zoe requests to dine with you tonight."

    Alana nodded, this was the perfect chance for her to present to her the notebook, "I will be there."

    The guard nodded and left to deliver the message.

~~~

Jared got Evan undressed carefully. The heavy armor was set on a its place next to the king's dresser. Connor sat on the bed, ready to explain his idea.

"We need something that will connect you with the common people, to the rebels." Connor said, still donning his armor. "You need to appear more human, more like you care about individuals."

"Yes?" Evan said as Jared slid off his shirt. It was damp from sweat and Jared nearly gagged. Armor in the heat was awful.

But, it was better than no armor.

"A wedding." Connor said. "Between you and me, the people will me, Zoe's brother, as a connection."

Jared froze. A marriage between Evan and Connor?

Evan seemed to consider this, "Yes, it would be very advantageous..."

Jared could feel himself growing red with heat. Evan and Connor were talking about this as if they were discussing what to have to lunch. Jared bit his lip. The two also hadn't mentioned anything of their night together. Jared should've known he was just a pawn all along anyway. He was a low born and he had to remember that. The only he was to a king was a servant or a prostitute.

"Yes." Evan decided. "A marriage between us would most certainly win over the people."

Connor grinned, "Brilliant, now we must-"

Jared finished dressing Evan in his night clothes. He got up without a word and stormed out the door, slamming it loudly behind him. He stalked off to his room.

Jared felt humiliating shame. He felt used and useless. Evan only saw Jared as a plaything.

As Jared laid in his bed that night, he wished he had run away with Alana.

~~~

   Alana arrived at the dinner promptly, her notebook tucked carefully next to her side. Zoe was already at one end of the table, being served a large turkey dinner. When she saw Alana arrive she smiled.

    "Take a seat." She gestured to the other end of the table. Alana did, taking a moment to adjust her dress. Zoe had kindly given her a new wardrobe, as her scullery maid gear was not appropriate for a proper lady. It had been years since Alana had worn fine clothing and she now found it frivolous.

    "Thank you for inviting me to dinner, my lady." Alana said as she brought a plate of food.

    "It's only proper to invite one of the inspirations for my rebellion." Zoe told her, biting into the turkey.

    Alana blushed, Zoe was talking sweet. To say she was an inspiration... "Well, I hope to be much more than just inspiration." Alana set the notebook on the table. "In my time of imprisonment in the castle I was able to befriend those close to King Evan. It wasn't hard to make them talk of his injustices and cruelty, I have a list-"

    Zoe waved her hand, "Lists are for when I am working, I am in my own private time as of right now and I would rather enjoy the company before me."

    Alana didn't know what to say, she put the notebook away, "Sorry, my lady."

    Zoe laughed, "I think you misunderstand me. What I'm trying to say is I would like to get to know you, Lady Alana."

~~~

    Jared woke in the middle of the night. A noise from somewhere in the castle had awoken him.

    Sitting up, he looked around his small, dark room. It truly was a servant's quarters. Glancing out the window Jared had to estimate it was past midnight, as the moon was high in the sky.

    He sighed, it seemed he was awake now. Jared reached over to his nightstand and grabbed the candle, lighting it. He creeped out into the hallway, looking around.

    Not a soul in sight, of course. Everyone was either at the wall watching for rebels or asleep in bed. Still, Jared decided to investigate further.

    He moved towards King Evan's room. It was only a short distance away, as Jared was one of his personal servants and always needed to be a heartbeat away.

    Jared opened the king's door, knowing it to be technically treason. Evan and Connor were asleep on the bed and Jared felt anger rising in his chest. Before he could do anything stupid, something drew his attention elsewhere.

    The sound of something tapping down the hall. At least, that was what it sounded like to Jared. He quickly shut the door and moved to investigate.

    When he reached the end of the hall he found nothing but an unusual stone laying on the floor. He picked it up, examining it. It seemed to be a shiny silver stone, but when he held it up to the moonlight it seemed to sparkle with the colors of the rainbow.

    Finding nothing other than the stone, Jared tucked it into his pocket and retreated back to his chamber.