Chapter Two: The Royal Guard

Evan managed to regain his composure, blinking up at Lord Connor calmly. For once, Jared was unsure of what Evan was going to do. Surely Evan wouldn't stand for someone disrespecting him? Then why wasn't he reacting?

    "Lady Hansen, would you excuse us?" Evan's voice was even.

     "Of course, your grace." Heidi bowed her head and seemed to hesitate before scurrying out of the room.

    "Lord Connor," Evan stood and Jared scooted the boy's chair back to allow him to make his way over to Connor. "I am sure you are well aware of the rebellion beginning in the east."

    "I am very well aware." Connor stood with his chin held high and his sword in resting position.

    Jared flinched for a second, Connor hadn't addressed Evan as 'your grace'. If he had said that, he would've been smacked.

    "I've always respected you, Connor." Evan stood next to the other boy, sitting on the edge of the table. "You've always served me loyally, and you're an honorable man."

    "Of course, sir." Connor's tone had softened now. "Which is why I must insist I take my land back."

    "I understand, but with your sister's rebellion I need you on my side, which is why I want you to stay in the capital for now." Evan leaned in closer. "Your land shall temporarily be governed by Lord Frewend, but it shall be yours after the rebellion."

    Connor thought about this for a second, "And what do you wish for me to do in the capital?"

    "I want you to be the head of my royal guard." Evan's eyes lit up with excitement as he said this. "The minute you walked in I was absolutely astonished with you! There were four guards stationed at the door, how on earth did you get past them!"

    Jared suddenly noticed Connor's sword was not in fact clean, but was stained dark, thick red.

    Evan suddenly seemed to realize Jared was still in the room. He turned to the boy and flicked his wrist. "Be off and leave us alone."

    Not bothering to reply his usual 'Yes, your grace', Jared turned on his heel and stormed out of the room. He didn't care if Evan would smack him later, maybe he wanted it to hurt.

    He clenched his fists and his insides felt prickly as he made his way through the hall. He had been there with Evan his whole life, aiding him, assisting him, doing whatever he wished whenever he wished, and he was never even told thank you.

    Jared had been fine with that too, but suddenly this Lord Connor came out of nowhere, a traitor's brother nonetheless, and Evan had allowed him to address him casually. To not call him 'your grace'.

    Jared arrived in his quarters and flopped down on his bed. He hadn't even bothered doing his other duties, he didn't want to dust Evan's previous throne or smooth out the boy's bedsheets for the millionth time.

    He curled up into a ball as he laid there fiery and hot and mad as hell. Lord Connor probably didn't have an ounce of respect for the kingdom, while Jared had worked every day of his life for the king.

~~~

    That night Jared arrived in Evan's chambers to undress him. As he pushed the door closed behind him, he could feel Evan's angry eyes on him.

    "You embarrassed me in front of Lord Connor today." Evan said, scowling.

    Jared began to unbutton the boy's shirt, "Frankly, I think you did that yourself, your grace." Jared felt Evan's skin heat up under his fingertips as he pulled the boy's shirt over his head. As soon as Evan was free of his shirt, he met Jared with a smack.

    "You need to watch your tongue, it's going to get you killed someday." Evan commented.

    "Of course, your grace, you ought to cut it out one of these days and hang it in the trophy room." Jared knew he was pushing the limits, but didn't care as he tugged down Evan's pants.

     Evan crossed his arms over his bare chest, looking down at Jared with large, pouting eyes. Jared was well aware that Evan couldn't do anything to him other than smack him or perhaps put him in the stocks, not with the debt.

"You should speak to your king more nicely, lest someone else might hear and inflict punishment on you themself." Evan grumbled, stepping out of the pants when Jared tapped on his ankle.

"Oh, and is that a threat, your grace?" Jared asked, standing up and folding the pants. He looked up at Evan, wondering when the boy had grown taller than him. It seemed not that long ago when Jared had been protecting the small boy from imaginary monsters.

"You know I can't threaten you." Evan sighed, sitting on the bed as he waited for Jared to retrieve his silk pajamas.

Jared didn't reply as he put the boy into the purple silk pajamas. Finally, he smoothed out Evan's hair and bowed to him.

"Sleep well, your grace."

Jared felt Evan's eyes on him as he left the room. He walked slowly now, lulling about the castle until he reached a large window looking out over the capital. As he leaned against the windowsill, he wondered if he could ever make his way up to a Lord.

No. He was lowborn, a bastard child. His mother a prostitute, his father a soldier. No one would ever let him forget his place.

From behind him, Jared heard someone clear their throat.

Quickly turning around, Jared was met with the sight of Lord Connor, no longer in his armor but instead in a casual linen shirt and cloak.

Of course, casual for a highborn.

"May I help you, my lord?" Jared bowed slightly.

"No, no." Connor waved his hand, leaning against the windowsill next to Jared. "What's your name?"

"Jared, my lord." He replied, staring up at the boy.

"Jared." Connor looked out the window for a second. "What do you think of the king?"

"Your grace is a strong and fitting king, he shall rule till his last breath and his firstborn son will rule after him." Jared recited his prewritten response. Connor chuckled, running a hand through his hair.

"Of course." Connor nodded, before starting away from Jared. "Goodnight, Jared." He called.

"Goodnight, my lord." Jared replied, watching the boy as he walked away.