Chapter 4

Lunch was a calm affair, the two families exchanging pleasantries until it was over.

"Loki, why don't you take Thor to see the woods? The rest of us will just finish touring the castle, not very exciting but make sure to bring Fenrir with you." Loki stood on his chair and pressed a kiss to his father's cheek.

"Yes, father. We'll be back before dark, I promise this time." His father nodded, Loki led Thor out of the palace and into the woods with Fenrir following.

"You use a hammer?" He asked, eyeing the hammer hanging from Thor's waist.

"Yes my weapon of choice, it strikes fear into many." Thor stated proudly, Loki tilted his head the ghost of a smile on his face. 

 "I suppose it does well in battle then?"  

"Indeed it does, what is your weapon of choice?"

"I'm not allowed to fight but I can use my magic, in defensive ways of course." Thor followed as Loki walked deeper into the woods.

"You have magic?"

"Yes, I am the only submissive male born into the royal family and only submissive's have the gift of magic. Dominants fight in battle, submissives do not."

"They think your that useless?"

"Not at all, quite the opposite actually. It's part of our culture, the people believe that submissives are here to be cherished and kept safe, not to fight in battles. That we are stronger than most and therefore more important."

"That sounds..."

"Ridiculous, yes, but that's how it works around here. You get used to it after a while, it's not so bad." He replied, pushing a branch out of his way.

"Why don't you let me make you another hammer, you don't have to use it but it will give me something to do in the days to come." Loki offered.

"Thank you, I will definitely use it." Loki smiled and pushed past one last branch, leading into a clearance. Snow drop flowers covered the ground but what Thor found the most beautiful were the intricate carvings in the trees, done by Loki's own hand.

"You did this?" Most of the carvings were swirling designs but Thor could also see the faces of Loki's family carved as well, each having their own tree nominated to themselves.

"As I said, I have a lot of spare time on my hands." Loki explained. He sat down between Fenrir's paws, watching Thor.

"What is your home like? And your family?" He questioned as Thor continued to marvel at his carving while he replied.

"My kingdom is a lovely place, everyone is kind. My family are mostly the same, my sister does not exactly have a soft spot for me, of any sort, as you probably noticed. My father, is a good king and my mother, she is always kind. I spend most of my time with her."

"You say your father is a good king, is he a good father as well?"

"He is a tough father, he just want the best for me." Loki nodded, he could understand that well enough, his father used to try and be tough on Loki when he was a child. He stopped once he realized it was doing nothing but scaring him and making him want to hide.

"And what of your family? They seem very loving." Thor queried.

"They are. I wouldn't be who I am without them, when I was born my father was worried about what would become of me due to my obvious lack in stature. Nothing bad has occurred, as of yet but my family stay cautious if something were to happen. I spend most of my time in the castle or here and Fenrir is always made to be with me, their love is potently protective." Thor and Loki sat facing each other, smiling as they talked about their homes,families and pasts. Recalling tiny details that made the other burst with laughter, Thor couldn't help but admire how beautiful everything about Loki is. Especially his laugh.

"It is almost dark, father will get anxious if we are not back in time." Thor agreed and stood, holding out his hand of Loki which he took. Their hands lingered together for a moment longer than necessary once Loki had stood, making each of their hearts flutter at the contact.

"I had a wonderful time with you Thor, I hope we can do it again before you leave." 

"As do I, I must show you the gardens in my kingdom when you visit. I have a feeling you will love them." Thor stated as the two began the walk back to the castle, Loki holding onto Thor's arm and Fenrir following behind as usual.

When the two entered the palace, still laughing from their previous endeavors, they found both kings waiting for them. Odin smiled wide, while Laufey studied the closeness between the two in satisfaction clear on his face.

"Did you two have fun?" Odin asked, placing a hand on a Thor's shoulder once they stopped in front of the king's.

"Yes father, we had a splendid time." Both king's smiled, Laufey reached to run a hand over Loki's cold cheek.

"Loki, why don't you go and say goodnight to your mother then head to bed. Everyone will still be here once you wake little one, I promise." He said in a velvety smooth voice, Loki smiled and curtsied to the assemblage of the room before departing. Fenrir lay his head down for Laufey to stroke before quickly running after the little prince, intending to keep him safe during his slumber. 

"Shall we all rest for tonight? Today had been wonderful as I'm sure tomorrow will be, in two nights we shall solidify the alliance." Odin stated, placing a hand on Thor's shoulder and leading him out of the room after a lingering look to Laufey.

Both kings knew it was the right thing to do. Odin knew Thor would make a great leader, that he's destined to do great things and Laufey believe's Loki will help Jotunheim prosper, as it once did. Tomorrow Thor and Loki would be informed of the engagement, but wrapped up in all of the politics involved the king's unfortunately forgot that those intended for the engagement and feelings too, Laufey of all should know how delicate Loki is and not just in his small stature. 

It wasn't their own lives they would be changing, it's their children's. Their children who both wish to fall in love and stay in love, under their own accords.