Chapter 8

The word of Loki and Thor's engagement had spread and soon both of the kingdoms were enveloped in wedding plans. Excitement seemed to be coursing through the ground, the people were buzzing.

Speaking of Loki, the young prince was currently lounging in his rooms. Snuggled deep into Fenrir's soft fur as he watched the snow fall gently outside his window, making a fluffy layer over the soil of the earth. Servants had been in earlier to wake him and assist in getting him ready for the day but he had yet to leave his rooms.

"Loki? May we speak for a moment?" King Laufey asked softly, scared almost, cracking his youngest sons door open far enough to pop his head through. Loki stood, nodding curtly and moved to sit on the open seating, motioning for his father to do the same.

"I have heard that you and Prince Thor are going through with the wedding, it will be a very beneficial union for both kingdoms."

"That may be father, but know this, just because I fell in love with Thor doesn't make what you did any better. And that doesn't make you forgiven in my eyes, don't forget that. If I had not fallen in love with Thor by myself, there would be no wedding." Laufey stood in silence, accepting the consequences to his actions. Although he is king and despises people telling him what to do, this time was different, he knew he had hurt Loki and he knew he didn't deserve to be forgiven so quickly.

"Next time you do something for the benefit of the kingdom, there are to be absolutely no secrets about the proceedings."

"I understand and I will work to earn your trust back, little one. You will be a far better ruler than I, I know already." And with that King Laufey left the room, but before the walked under the threshold a soft hand stopped him. He turned towards his youngest, tilting his head down to make eye contact with Loki's spectacular red orbs.

"Father, you will still walk me down the isle, correct?" Loki queried, staring deep into his father's eyes.

"Of course my little Loki, I could never miss the wedding of my youngest." He reassures, softly stroking Loki's cheek, who closed his eyes in response. "I do believe you're mother wished to see you in her drawing room, shall I tell her you are on your way?"

"Yes please, father."

Shortly after that Loki, slightly reluctantly, was exiting his rooms and preparing himself for the day that was to come. He reached his mothers chambers in record time and opened the doors wide, revealing the occupants of the room.

Queen Fárbauti stood in the centre of her drawing room. A pedestal and a floor length mirror to her left and a team of three seamstresses to her right, rolls and rolls of fabric and drawings covered the rest of the room and cluttered up her desk. The excitement had worn off and now it was time to get down to business.

"Ah Loki! It feels like I've been waiting an eternity for you, but never mind that, we have very important thing to get done today." She gushed, spinning in a little circle with her hands clutching at her heart.

"Oh?" Loki questioned, he had an inkling of what was to happen next and he didn't know how he felt about it.

"Of course! Your wedding garments, my darling!" She exclaimed, her usually calm  demeanour deteriorating as she rushed over and scooped Loki up into her arms. Cradling him close to her chest as she did when he was younger.

"Just yesterday you were newly born, so little, so precious. Something to be taken care of and cherished. And now, now we're preparing to hand you off to someone else. To be honest, little one, I'm not sure, as a mother, if I'm ready to let you go yet."

"Oh mother, I don't believe any mother is ever ready to let their child go but remember who I'm going to. Thor, someone who loves me and we will rule here, stay here, with you." Loki soothed, the woman sighed looking her son in the eyes.

"You'll never understand how lucky I was to receive you, little Loki." She brushed a hair from his face as she placed him down, the two smiled at one another. A bittersweet sort of smile.

"Shall we?" His mother asked, motioning to the excessive amounts of fabric behind them.

"We shall." And just like that Loki was whisked away. Placed on a pedestal and measured, he picked out fabrics and styles. Trading ideas with the seamstresses and his mother.

It took a long time but finally they had an idea and the fabrics, next it was time to organise the date, the theme, the venue and the guests.

It was to be a most extraordinary wedding that was for sure. The union of two kingdoms and of two hearts.