Prologue

The sun shone brightlyoverhead. It had all day, and it was continuing to do so intothe night that would not come. Cats gathered on the edge of theland, the water of the Goddess Pool lapping at their sore paws.

The cats could not seeall of each other, but they knew they were there. Forest catscame from all five northernmost lands: Ope, Sia, Ska, Ada, and And.

The cats waited for theappropriate moment and then, with no cue but instinct guiding them,they all cried out.

"Meow! Meow!"

The phrase was anancient one, one that cats had said since the beginning of time. Itsmeaning was simple: me-ow, or, I hurt. This was the way thecats sent their woes to Goddess, so that they could be forgiven andsent good luck and better times.

This would go on untilnight would finally fall and Goddess would grace the sky withbeautiful lights of greens and purples, letting her followers knowthat she had heard their pitiful mewls.

And then, the highpriestess of each land would walk through her subjects. Shewould bring her kittens with her, and trade them for special kittensof the cats who had gathered. These she-kittens would go on tobe priestesses.

All priestesses had atleast one blue eye and special spiritual abilities. The highpriestess always had both blue eyes and was deaf to mortal cats, butcould hear the words of Goddess.

        It was the simple wayof life.