Chapter 6

"Why has everyone been saying thosethings about you?" Sannindi asked.

Sighing, Eriksonreplied, "It doesn't matter. What matters is that I'mhere for you. That will never change."

Sannindi lashed herfluffy tail, "No, tell me what they know that I don't!"

The two were alone. They had been out hunting in the pines. The peaty groundwas soft under her paws and prey was sparse, but she knew she'dcome across something at some point. Though, other mattersdistracted the calico-tabby.

"You need to focusmore on being a priestess," Erikson told her.

"Why?" she growled,"I don't even want to be one!"

"It is the greatesthonor that could ever be bestowed upon you!" he hissed back.

"I just want to goback home with my mother and brothers," she went on.

But he intervened,"They're not your brothers and Vigr's not your mother anymore. You have your real mother now and sister too."

Sannindi's taildrooped, "I just miss them."

"That's natural,"Erikson gently told her, "but you must move on. So many greatthings await you."

Meeting his gaze, theystood silently for a moment.

"So you don't wantto be a priestess," a gravelly voice came.

Moving closer toSannindi, Erikson extended his claws and growled, "Get away fromhere!"

The grey and whitetabby chuckled, "I'm not afraid of you."

"Who are you?"Sannindi asked.

The tabby explained,"My name is Feigr."

Feigr. A chillwas sent down her spine. She noticed this cat had a certaindarkness about him.

"Who is this,Erikson?" Sannindi asked as she carefully moved closer to hercompanion.

Erikson lashed histail, "I don't know but I can tell he's from below."

"It is not easy toescape the Sea of Woe, but it can be done," Feigr purred, "andnow I can help you too dear. You can escape your supposeddestiny."

Sannindi's earsperked up, "What do you mean?"

"You don't have tofollow the path Goddess has chosen for you."

Erikson hissed, "Howdare you suggest such a thing!"

"The Sea of Woedoesn't have to exist. Just because a cat refuses to followGoddess does not make them bad."

Sannindi slowly nodded,"I suppose that could be true."

Erikson shook his headvigorously, "That is as far from the truth as could be!"

"Who are you to talkabout what Goddess wants?" Feigr challenged, "After everythingyou did?"

Looking to hercompanion, Sannindi asked, "Really, what is this about you everyonekeeps going on about?"

Erikson growled, "Itis nothing, I promise!" Turning to Feigr, he lashed out with clawsfully extended, "Now you, be gone!"

"Or you'll kill mejust like-," Feigr began.

Hissing, Erikson lungedat the spirit. Turning to run, Feigr disappeared into the airlike a cloud breaking in the sky.

"What was thatabout?" Sannindi asked for clarification.

Erikson explained, "Itwas merely temptation."

"And about you?"she asked.

He shook his head,"Nothing good can come from those in the Sea of Woe. Onlygood can come from Goddess and those who know Her."

Sannindi blinked athim, "If you say so."

"I do," he replied.

Back with her motherand sister, Sannindi finished her lizard.

"Things to remember,"Tungl taught, "to bless a cat, which will happen often but notevery cat who asks is to be blessed, touch your nose to theirs andflick your tail to the left. A flick to the right marks the cat witha curse."

"What do we do withall the sacrifices cats make at the full moon?" Fiskr inquired.

"You eat it dear."

"How do we eat all ofthat at once?" Sannindi asked, stomach full from the small meal.

Tungl chuckled, "Youdon't. You bury most of it and save it for later."

Erikson spoke up, "Howdoes a priestess banish a bad spirit?"

Tungl's ears pricked,"Why do you ask?"

Sannindi was silent. But Erikson explained, "Today we met one; he tried temptingSannindi."

Nodding slowly, Tunglresponded, "You must stay strong, dear. Say 'miaoupartir'and if that doesn't work, use your claws."

Fiskr's eyes widened,"Use our claws?"

Tungl gravely told herdaughters, "Some spirits are very strong. You must give allyour life to get them to leave." She looked to the tom, "Ifhe were to betray us, it would take more than one of you to rid ofhim."

"He wouldn't betrayus though," Sannindi asserted.

Tungl flicked an ear,"perhaps."

Erikson promised, "Ionly have best interests at heart."

        To which Tungl replied,"Don't we all?"