Chapter 4

The journey home had been not difficultbut tiring. It was a long trek over the land, though not evenover the entirety of Ope. Many cats had hung around to see thequeen and her new kittens.

Some of the cats hadstretched out their paws and noses, hoping to touch the holyshe-cats. Tungl ensured no one was touched during the trek.

The home was in a cliffwith mountains behind it. It overlooked the Goddess Pool as didthe homes of all the high priestesses.

Stretching, Sannindilooked around the cavern, the morning light streaming in.

"Eat," Tunglcommanded, pointing with her tail to the fish on the rocky floor,"then we'll get on to the first lesson."

Excitedly eating thefishy meal, Sannindi wondered what the lesson would be. Shewasn't sure what a priestess would need to know or how to learn it.

All remains gone, Fiskrand Sannindi sat side-by-side. Ready for the lesson, theywatched as their new mother walked in front of them.

"Today we're goingto learn how to summon spirits," Tungl told her kittens.

Fiskr clawed at theground.

"Are you okay?"Sannindi asked softly.

Fiskr's whiskersquivered, "I'm just excited."

"Pay attention!"Tungl scolded them.

The kittens satstraighter and with ears erect.

"First you draw asymbol in the ground," Tungl told them, "the sort of symbol tellswhat sort of spirit you're summoning."

"What kind are wesummoning today?" Fiskr asked.

Tungl said, "A plain,deceased cat. One from the Great Garden. It'll be easyto talk to and one you can trust."

Paying close attention,Sannindi watched as Tungl scratched a circle in the rock floor. Theninside the circle she made several lines.

"Make note of thisformation," Tungl taught, "it is only slightly different from theothers. And you do not want to make the mistake of summoning aless kind spirit if you can help it."

Staring at the threelines, Sannindi recognized them as looking similar to a fern. Shememorized the form and made a mental note of it.

Standing in front ofthe circle, Tungl raised her tail and twitched her whiskers. "Miaouvien"

There was a glow to thecircle, it grew up and up. As the glow faded, a cat stood inthe circle.

"Hello," the fawntortoiseshell-and-white meowed and then her golden eyes grew wide. Fur on end and back arched, she hissed with fear, "What areyou doing with a warrior?"

Tungl replied, "He isa sort of guardian to my daughter. For now we shall let himbe."

Sannindi looked toErikson, "Warrior?"

Saying nothing, herefused to meet her gaze.

And what did "fornow" mean? Would there come a time when Erikson would have tobe forced away?

Sannindi shuddered atthe thought.

Still not calm, thespirit from the Great Garden continued on, "My name is Kveld. Whatcan I do for you?"

"I was just teachingthe kittens how to summon a cat like yourself," Tungl told her.

Kveld nodded, "It isa very useful thing to be able to do."

Tungl walked around thecircle in which Kveld stood, "You can seek advice from spirits, oryou can use them to do battle with other spirits. Remember, those of the Great Garden are your allies."

Staring at Erikson,Kveld wrinkled her nose. She could not resist retorting, "Butyou trust warriors?"

"What's wrong witha warrior?" Sannindi challenged, though she knew nothing of thetitle.

Tungl intervened, "Fornow, nothing. He is good to you, little one, but be aware hemay not always be."

What did that mean?

Sannindi let out agrowl. Erikson pressed against Sannindi and mewed, "It isokay, I promise."

"Why do they keepsaying things about you?" Sannindi asked.

Erikson shook his head,"It is nothing, please let's just continue as we were."

"Focus!" Tunglgrowled, "Now is not the time."

Lashing her tail, sheaccepted the answer though she did not want to.

"Try to summon aspirit of the Garden," Tungl commanded, "Fiskr, you first."

Sannindi watched as hernew sister clawed at the ground. A circle, three lines. Andthen she meowed.

"Miaouvien!"

A glow appeared, cameup and then faded. A white she-cat with ginger tipped ears andtabby tail stood before them.

"My name is Draumr,"she said and then took a step back, "Oh, what's a warrior doinghere?"

"Merely observing forthe time being," Erikson said, "don't mind me."

"I had never seen awarrior bonded to a priestess," Draumr said, "and I lived thelife of one!" She blinked her blue eyes.

Tungl explained, "Thisis a rare exception."

Draumr warned, "Justbe careful. Warriors tend to be deceitful and manipulative."

Sannindi shook herhead, "He is neither of those things!"

"Darling," Draumrsaid, "you don't even know his real name."

"His name isErikson," Sannindi insisted.

Tungl shook her head,"In fact, it is not."

"Then what is it?"Sannindi challenged.

The other cats weresilent. Finally, Draumr said, "I'm sure he will reveal itto you some day."

Sannindi looked to hercompanion, "What is your real name?"

        "Why is it not enoughto know the name I told you?" He sounded slightly uneasy.