Chapter 10

Sannindi awoke to the sound ofcrunching leaves. She blinked her odd eyes and realized that up above many ofthe trees were in fact bare. She looked around andsaw the approaching cat, a she-cat by scent.

"What's a priestessdoing out here?" the she-cat asked. She was white with aginger splash on her chest.

Sannindi got to herpaws and stretched. After a yawn escaped her, she explained,"I'm travelling away from the high priestess to find a sanctuaryof my own."

The mostly whiteshe-cat nodded, "You must be new to the job."

"I am," Sannindiadmitted.

The cat meowed, "Wellwhy don't you come with me? I live in a barn nearby."

Sannindi exchangedglances with her companion, but neither said anything. Shebegan following the priestess.

"So, what's yourname?" Sannindi asked, and then gave her own.

"Mine's Herz."

"That's an oddname," Sannindi replied.

Herz told her, "I wasborn in Deu, in Middle Ope, but when my mother saw my blue eye, sheknew I had a higher calling. She traveled here long before theDay of No Night to ensure we would make it in time. It was ahard journey, but I am very glad we made it."

"I'm not toofamiliar with anything south of here," Sannindi admitted.

Herz shrugged. "Anyway," she meowed, "what's about the warrior?"

Sannindi explained, "Heescaped the Sea of Woe and is helping me be a good priestess in hopeGoddess will allow him to be by her side once more."

There was a pause,"What's his name?"

Sannindi felt likesaying 'Erikson' but she knew it would be an obvious lie. Shrinking, her voice squeaked, "Sneypa."

Herz froze and slowlycast a glance over her shoulder. "Sneypa? Like, Sneypa? Who led the massacre?"

Sannindi nodded. Erikson looked away, embarrassed by her recognition. Sheadded, "His actual name is Erikson though."

"Well everyone knowsthat," Herz replied, "but that name is meaningless since hefell."

Erikson spoke up, "Itwon't be when I'm reinstated."

Herz rolled her eyes,"If your father even allows you into the Great Garden again."

Sannindi blinked havingcompletely forgotten the story of Sneypa. He had been born tothe highest ranking warriors, one of which was the leader: Erik.

Erikson sighed, "Iwouldn't be surprised if he blames me for Mama's death."

Sannindi and Herzfroze, looked to him with wide eyes.

Herz gasped, "Helledied in the massacre?"

"Oh no," hecorrected, "not Mum, Mama. My parents were three, not two. Inkeriwas the one of my parents who questioned Goddess' choice about thecolonies. Not Erik or Helle."

"Who was Inkeri?"Sannindi asked having never heard of the warrior.

Erikson purred as heremembered her, "She was a beautiful queen, grey with a whitemuzzle and underbelly and paws, and black stripes painted her faceand lined her back and legs and tail. She had stunning greeneyes, more beautiful than anything either of you have seen."

"Sounds like youreally loved her?" Herz suggested.

Erikson sighed, "Well,she is the one I was bonded to before I became my own being. Helleand Erik were simply also my parents, but they weren't nearly asclose to me as Inkeri."

"I didn't even knowwarriors had families like that," Sannindi commented.

Erikson tilted his headto the side, "Really?"

She nodded, "Yes."

By now they had reacheda wooden structure. Sannindi could taste the smell of miceinside, and she could already sense it was rather warm too, comparedto the chill air.

"This is my home,"Herz declared.

"It is nice,"Sannindi replied. There were other animals living inside it. Mostly large livestock. But the piles of hay looked niceand comfortable and promised the prize of mice to feast on.

Herzsettled into a nest and Sannindi followed her lead.

A rumbling stomach ledher to ask, "Can we hunt?"

"There's no need,"Herz replied, "my followers shall be bringing prey this verynight."

"Is it the full moonalready?" Sannindi asked with much surprise. How long had shebeen away from Tungl and Fiskr?

Herz nodded, "It is!"But she then changed the subject, "Sneypa, do tell me, do allwarriors who are grouped in threes have one tom and two queens?"

Erikson shook his head,"No, you see, warriors don't have genders like cats do. Wejust present as cats so it seems we do. But actually we come incharges. Positive, negative, and neutral. I'm apositive myself, as my father. Helle was negative and Inkerineutral."

"Do you have onepartner or two?" Sannindi asked.

He seemed suddenly veryuneasy. "Umm, two."

"Who?" was herobvious next question.

He sank his claws intothe hard ground, "I'd rather not say."

Herz nodded, "Iimagine it is complicated since you've fallen."

"Um," he paused,"yes, it is."

Sannindi felt bad forhim, so she redirected their attention, "What is around here?"

Herz told her, "Nothingmuch. Just a bunch a cats who visit me every so often. Iknow to the south a bit farther is a group of cats who have losttheir way. Perhaps you could try converting them."

Erikson perked up,"That's an excellent idea!"

"Priestess!" a catcalled.

Herz go to her paws andwatched as several cats slunk into her presence. Each carried apiece of prey.

Sannindi's stomachroared.

The cats eyed her andthen dropped their prey in front of Herz.

"Well don't berude!" Herz hissed, "Do you not see the young priestess sittingthere? She is my guest and she must be fed as well!"

"We did not knowma'am," one cat meowed.

Another added, "Wewill be right back!"

"Right away!" asmall cat squeaked.

The group rushed backinto the cold evening air.

"Why did you addressthem so?" Sannindi asked, "There was no need for that."

"Darling, sometimesyou must be strict with your lot of idiots." Herz replied.

Sannindi was astonishedat the wording, at the attitude, but she said nothing.

The cats soon returned,each with a piece of prey for Sannindi.

"Thank you," shemeowed whole-heartedly to each one.

"But of course!"

"You deserve it!"

"Anything for apriestess!"

"May the Goddesstreat you well this moon!"

        And so on.