Chapter 13

All alone, Sannindi felt afraid. Shehad never been without her companion. And now...he was gone,away from her.

"Sneypa?" Shemewled like a kitten.

He did not answer her.

Moving to her paws, shebegan walking away from the garden, in the direction which he hadgone. But she soon found her paws leading her some other way. Did he take a winding path to mislead her? Or was thissome odd intuitive walk?

"Hello?" Sannindicalled out in the predawn air when she neared another cat.

The chocolate and whitetabby looked over her shoulder, golden eyes glowing. "Who areyou?" came her voice.

"My name isSannindi," she said, "and you?"

"Mosi," she spat,"but what's it to you, priestess?"

Sannindi blinked inconfusion, "Excuse me?"

"Your eye is blue,"she growled, "were you not raised by a high priestess?"

"I was but-,"Sannindi was interrupted.

"You're worse thanmouse droppings!"

Ears falling flat,Sannindi gasped as if she had been swatted with unsheathed claws.

After a moment ofstaring at each other, Mosi meowed, "You're not killing me orthreatening me like any other priestess. What is with you?"

"I don't believe inthat," Sannindi responded simply.

Mosi blinked at her,"What do you mean?"

"I'm not sure how Ifeel about Goddess," Sannindi admitted.

Mosi eyed her and thensaid, "Let me tell you something. My brother was born with ablue eye and the ability to see the dead. He found reasons tospeak against the priestesshood, and so he did as a young kitten. Still, our so-called mother took us to the Day of No Night togather and cry to Goddess. It was when the high priestesspassed that she grabbed him by the scruff and threw him to the orcas. We watched in horror as he was swallowed whole."

Sannindi's eyes werewide. She could only imagine if one of her brother's had metthe same fate.

The chocolate tabbycontinued, "Yet Vigr tried telling me the high priestess heardGoddess' word and did as she was told, did what was right. Thestupid queen did not want to avenge he own son!"

"Wait, Vigr?"Sannindi asked, "As in, a dark tortoiseshell and white with goldeneyes?"

Mosi nodded, "Yes,that is her."

The calico tabbygasped, "That's my mother!"

Wrinkling her nose,Mosi snorted, "And she let you be taken by the high priestess? Iguess she hasn't changed!"

"She never told usabout your brother," Sannindi explained, "or you to be honest."

"Why would she?"Mosi growled, "Why teach her kittens of Goddess' horror whenshe can just ignore it and act like life is beautiful?"

Sannindi was silent.

There was the sound ofpawsteps on pavement. The scent of two toms wafted in the air.

"Vigr told me to stayaway from Siberian toms," Mosi chuckled, "but I found the love ofmy life in one."

The tabby and whitedarted down the stone path and around a den. Curious, Sannindifollowed, slowly at first and then at a faster pace.