Chapter 7 : Make it Right

Theme: I Don't Wanna Do Anything - MJB
POV : Devante
Year:1990

So far we've been at Uptown for about a 2 months but it feels like we've been here for a life time. I mean being here they've treated us like family. About a month ago we put out our first single that the legendary Al B Sure and I co-wrote called Forever My Lady and it sure did shoot straight to #1 on the charts. After that we really have gained so much exposure and so many people have requested Jodeci to help write or produce their music. Like I said things are on the up and up for us so far as a group. Me personally, I'm so excited for our finally project to be completed. We took Mani's advice about taking our tape to Andre and just like she said all we have to do is re-record a few songs, tweak production and we have our debut album.

Right now it's like late December and Magik's album is coming out in a few days. January 1st to be exact. I would be laying if I said that I wasn't proud of Mani. She's definitely accomplished majority of her life long goals. If your wondering yes we talk but we only speak about music and business things like for an example after gaining my trust as a writer Andre paired me her up for a few projects one of which had been this song for Mary's album which will drop in March of the upcoming year. We basically have to write and produce a song for the project.

" wait what if we put Kci's verse at the beginning and then Mary's second then at the end of the second verse go straight to that" she said pointing to the words on the paper.

" yea that should make it flow better" I replied to her walking towards the piano to actually play the verses".

After about starting a little under ten minutes we wrote the song and we already had a melody going. We wrote a song about two people in a passionate relationship that lack communication on both ends. Sounds familiar?

I mean I can't sit here and lie and say that me and Mani aren't writing this song about each other. It's too obvious but if she don't wanna speak on it then I won't speak on it either. Right now we've got this thing where instead of Mani I call her cherry and she calls me Devante. I guess keeping it on a business level. It's like we interact with each other like we don't know one another and it literally kills me lowkey like call me by my nickname the fuck. I know that she had to miss us just like how I miss us I can see it in her eyes but in time we will get it right but for now we gotta focus on this music.

" Devante I know good and damn well you hear me " she snapped knocking me out my thoughts.

" I said did you want to go ahead add the instrumental and call K and Mary back in here?"

" yea go ahead and call them the sooner we can   lay this track down and present it to Andre and Puff the sooner we can put it on the air waves. "

It took us almost two hours to complete the track at this point it was about ten -thirty at night and we all were tired.

" how y'all feeling this record? " I asked K and Mary who by the way had become a new little fling but I know Kci and he's no where near faithful to that girl. But I'm not gonna break up happy home but personally I feel they going too strong  too early anyways.

" this shit describes us so much right baby, I mean I love it y'all it's so much raw emotion in this track I hope they let it become on of the singles for the album " Mary said gripping Kci's boney ass arms. Kci just nodded in agreement.

Me and " Cherry" just looked at each other when she said that it describes them too knowing good and well they ain't even been an item for three months yet.

" well I guess that a wrap for us I'll be sure to get this into Andres office first thing tomorrow for you" I told her.

After that everybody left the studio to headed home but luckily I was able to catch up to Cherry  before she left the building. I grabbed her arm at first to catch her attention.

" Ayo let me walk you out since it's dark and empty out here " I said to her.

" yea that's nice thank you , at least now I won't have to karate chop a nigga in the head if he try something " she joked causing me to laugh cause I know her little ass was lowkey serious I told y'all she was with the shits.

" well I wanted to actually talk to you about today we actually worked really well together. That track was dope as hell. We need to do that more often. " I said feeling a little uneasy.

" of course matter of fact I want you help me with this song I have to write for this girl I'm sure you've heard of her. But it's due this upcoming week and I'm free this Wednesday if you are I'd love for you to help me " she said. Of course I wouldn't say no.

Once we approached her car we said our good-byes and she drove off. I went back into the building to drop off the tape for " I don't want to do anything " under Andre's door. Grabbed my coat and was headed out the door until I heard yelling from one of the closed studio doors. It sounded like someone was arguing or something and I was gonna mind my business until I heard screaming.

I wanted to check and make sure who ever it was was ok and the closer I got to the door I noticed it was Chris as in Christopher Williams my label mate. I couldn't make out the women's voice but it definitely sounded like a women. Just as I was about to knock on the door the screaming stopped and the door knob started shaking so I hid behind one of the pillars in the hallway to see who would come out the room and it was in fact a very angry , red faced Chris. He came out the room and yelled " fix your face up you goofy bitch " and shut the door muttering to himself right before
heading out to the front doors of the building
" this big ass nigga got nerve to call somebody else fat " I thought to myself.

Once I saw that Chris was completely gone in went straight into the room to see if the lady was ok and when I opened the door I was shocked.

Still I'm shocked all I could manage to get out was " Lisa ? ".