12

Why did I join the Survey Corps?
I looked over my shoulder, the giant armored titan was sprinting right at us. 
I'm not going to return back...there's no way...I have no experience in this...

"Damn it (L/n)! Keep your head forward, that's an order!!" Levi yelled, I gulped and quickly looked forward mumbling, "Sorry sir." 

"That's not what every titan is like if you're wondering." Armin spoke, I nodded. I wondered how the young blonde could read me so easily. 

"Orders sir?!" Jean asked Levi. Levi looked forward. "We'll continue forward and take cover in the trees."

"Then what?! Wait for that tin can to get us?!" Connie yelled, Levi glared. "Shut up you shitty brat and follow your orders!" 

----

We got up to the trees, leaving the horses scattered around at the bottom. It's not like we could keep riding around forever, they were already growing tired from the long ride to the forests, as by this time, the sun was setting. "What do we do?" Eren asked, looking around. 

Most of the Survey Corps had made it to the trees, a couple of them were taken by titans on the way but that seemed to be a normal occurrence to everyone else. I never even knew their names so it didn't effect me much. 

"Listen everyone." Commander Erwin Spoke. We were all gathered on branches in close proximity to each other. "Although we lost the armored titan, it will most likely catch up to us. We just planning to try to return home with as many lives as possible. Far too little is known about the armored titan to engage it in combat in titan territory..." He looked around and then continued. "Some of the squad leaders and myself have set up traps for it just in case if we see it coming to hopefully give us some time to escape. It is too late to ride on horseback. As you can tell, the horses are out of energy and need to rest before being mobile and safe to use again. So we are going to stay in the trees for the night and try to head back in a couple of hours. Understood?" 

"Sir!" Everyone saluted. 

-----

I sat down on the branch, letting my feet hang off slightly. The whole squad was asleep but Levi and I. Levi sat against the tree trunk, moving his cravat around. He looked up and noticed my gaze, "Tch." He clicked his tongue. I quickly looked away, holding my arms. It was getting close to December so it was pretty cold at this point since there was no sun out. 

I looked up and noticed little snowflakes beginning to fall from the sky. Even though the Survey Corps wore extra layers in the cold, I still didn't have enough fat to keep in a lot of warmth due to my malnutrition from the underground. I puffed out a small breath of air and felt warmth placed around my shoulders. 

I looked over to see Levi placing his cloak over me. "Tch. You're going to catch a cold if you don't cover up. You need to start eating more." He spoke sternly. I took in the smell of Levi's coat and couldn't help but smile. 

"Why haven't you gone to sleep?" I heard Levi speak. I turned toward him, "I just can't, I'm not used to this terrain and it's kind of hard to absorb everything. Especially since my first encounter with a titian...wasn't exactly a normal one." 

Levi nodded, ''Ah." 

I scooted toward Levi and took a seat next to him on the crook of the branch. He didn't say much which surprised me a lot. "Wha?" I asked him. He looked over at me, "eh?"

"You're not telling me to go away?" I asked. 

"I never said I didn't enjoy your presence." He retorted, I felt a blush creep up on my face. I dug through the fabric of his cloak, the smell comforted me so much. 

"Tch, you're smelling that thing like Hanji's obsession with titans." 

"It's comforting." I spoke back softly. I felt him gape slightly and get a bit uncomfortable. "sorry." I mumbled. He didn't say anything, I sighed, looking down and seeing the giant groups of titans by the trees. 

"Don't look down, it doesn't help." Levi spoke out, I looked at him. "Why are you being so nice to me?" 

He sighed, "Just what you told me the other day. I always blamed you...to be fair though, I thought you were dead." 

"Dead??? Why?" I felt myself get a bit angry, he really didn't have much faith in me. 

"Comes down to the day I first met you." 

I thought back to when he saved me from that middle aged man trying to kidnap me and sighed. He's right, he's always had to save me when I was in trouble. Treat my wounds when I got hurt, gave me a place to eat and sleep. 

"Come to think of it, I've pondered how you survived since you've arrived." He spoke again. I giggled, "If I'm being honest, it's because I wanted to see you again." 

"Eh?" Levi asked, he sounded a bit confused. 

"I wanted to work things out with you, but I've just realized that it was a fantasy thought all this time." I frowned, holding the chain on my necklace and trying not to reveal what was on it. "I know what's on that." Levi spoke, my body tensed up. 

How did he know...I swear if Hanji told him...

"You fell asleep on the roof and it fell out." 

I felt heat rise up to my face, he knew that I still had feelings for him. He knew that I still cared for him, yet he did nothing. "I-I'm going to get some sleep..." I leaned on my side, turning away from him and trying to not let him see the uncontrollable tears that fell from my eyes.