The Chosen

Chapter Four

Mason and I laid in bed for half an hour until I put my hair in a messy bun and put on some boxers and a crop top. Mason fell asleep, but it was only 9 pm and I wasn't tired. I told Mason to get dressed and then he could fall back asleep.

I went downstairs to get some water, but I took my laptop and my notebook. I did some research on Annie and Minnie's death. Annie didn't live in Archer city, she was murdered by her father. He sexually assaulted her, hit her head multiple times which broke her neck. That's why my head and neck hurt when I touched her. That's horrible, I hope she has peace up with Kora. I need to talk to her while Mason is sleeping.

"Princess Kora, I have more questions. Please come and see me, but don't show yourself, you're too bright. It'll bring too much attention." I looked around the kitchen as I said it. I felt like I was going crazy.

"You have questions, my child?"

"Yes, I do. What I do, is there a name for what I am?"

"What you are is an anchor. You bring peace to the dead."

"An anchor. I thought it would be something harder to say. Okay, and why did I get this "job?"

"Child you have been destined for this since you were a little girl. It was supposed to happen later, when you turned 18, but Leo did what he wasn't supposed to. He gave your gift earlier. Although when you died, that's what sent it to you faster."

"Leo? Is that the man who said I was chosen before? Can I meet him?" I asked wanting to know who messed my whole life earlier than it was supposed to.

"Melanie who are you talking to?" Mason mumbled coming down the stairs from my room.

"You will meet us soon my child." Kora's voice faded and then was gone. Can't I get 5 minutes to myself?

"Who are you talking to Mel?" He put his arms around my hips then started kissing my neck.

"No one and not right now." I pushed him away then we laid on the couch and watched Divergent. After two hours of watching movies we both fell asleep until my parents came home. They were both drunk so they took a cab home.

"Honey we are going upstairs. Mason why don't you sleep over tonight." "That is a great idea, Theresa. We will be in our room." My dad mumbled as they tripped up the stairs. My mom and dad stumbled upstairs then closed their door.

"Okay. Do you want to go up to my room?" I got up and started walking.

"Absolutely," he slapped my butt then ran upstairs. Before we got comfortable I checked on my parents. When I cracked open the door, they were completely out. Thank god, that would have been awkward if they weren't sleeping. Shaking that image out of my head quicklyI went back to my bedroom.

"We are clear, they are out." I jumped on Mason and started kissing him. We took off our shirts and pants and started making out. Before I knew he was lying beside me, but I couldn't remember anything. I was sweaty, Mason was naked sleeping beside me.

"Oh no, not again," I grabbed my clothes and ran downstairs. I went outside to my backyard. It was freezing, but I had a feeling I wasn't going to be cold after.

"Melanie Bane you have been chosen."

"Honestly, are you going to say that every time because I think I would know by now?" I waited outside freezing cold in only boxers and crop top with no sweater, but I knew I wasn't going to be cold after who leaves through me.

"Hello. Where am I?" A man with gray hair appeared. He startled me because I was thinking about why I couldn't remember having sex with Mason. What was I supposed to say? I didn't want to be unprofessional, like I was going to get fired from a job I didn't even want.

"I am Melanie you are in my backyard. I am going to bring you peace, so you can go to the otherworld. You have passed away. How old are you and whats your name?" I wasn't as calm as I wanted to be.

"I'm Fred lions and 93 years old." He paused for a second. "So I'm dead and you will help me? I have had a long and happy life. What do I do?" The man came closer to me. He sounded excited to be dead. It was obviously old age.

"You just grab my hand and then you will be free," I knew it would hurt. So I was a bit scared until he grabbed my hand and then disappeared. I could feel his emotional pain and my heart hurt a lot, but it wasn't as bad as the other two. I started crying and fell to my knees, it didn't hurt for a long time, maybe 5 minutes. I went back inside and it was 5 am.

I got up to my room and went to Masons side of the bed. "Mason, get dressed my parents might get up soon," He got up and put on his pants, then flopped back in my bed.

"Tell your parents that last night they said it was okay," he was still half asleep. It was Saturday morning so we I could sleep in. We both fell back asleep when I closed my eyes I had a dream about Kora.

"My child I came into your dream to tell you that you handled that situation better than anyone has for their third time. You will be very powerful." I couldn't say anything because she left so fast.

I woke up almost on top of Mason. I rolled over and checked my phone and it was 10 am, that's my kind of sleeping in. Mason was still sleeping and so was my parents, so I went downstairs and made eggs, bacon, and toast, one of my favorite meals ever. I went into the kitchen, got everything I needed, put on music and started cooking. I started dancing and flipped the eggs and bacon, I used my spatula for a microphone.

"I would walk 100 miles and I would walk one hundred more." I knew I couldn't sing to good but I loved the song.

"Hey, who are you?" I dropped the spatula on the floor and turned around as fast as I could. I saw a man he was maybe 35 years old. He had blood all over his face and hands. He seemed angry so I slowly turned off the stove.

"I am Melanie, you are in my kitchen. What's your name and how old are you?" I feel like I'm a receptionist, not an anchor for the dead.

He floated fast up to me and whispered, "I'm John, I'm 30 years old and I hope this is legal," he grabbed my butt and disappeared. I sat down on the floor holding my face. It felt like someone punched me so many times that I didn't have a face anymore. Plus I gave peace to a ghost that touched my butt. My life was so confusing.

Once I felt okay I started cooking breakfast again. After breakfast was done I brought a plate to my mom and dad for breakfast in bed and went to wake Mason up.

"Good morning gorgeous. It's time to get up, I made breakfast for everyone." I jumped on him and kissed him everywhere on his face. "Come on Mason, breakfast is going to get cold."

He picked me up and threw me so that I was underneath him and he was on top of me. He kissed me. "Good morning beautiful."

"My parents are in bed eating, come on let's go downstairs," I said slithering my way out of his grip.

"Rejected." Mason and I went downstairs to eat, "thanks for breakfast I'm starving. How was your sleep?" We sat on the couch and watched Gifted.

"Not as good as yours I bet. You passed out right after..."

"Oh god, I need an Advil and 50 gallons of water," my mom said putting hers and dads plates in the dishwasher. "Good morning kids." She was out of breath from guzzling water.

"Hi mom," I took my last bite of breakfast. "I was wondering if we could do something today."

"We should go for a picnic," my dad came down the stairs. "It is a nice day out. Mason can come too."

"Thanks for the offer Mr. and Mrs. Bane, but I have to go home and do some chores for my mom," He had to take care of his mom since his father passed in 2015. Mason's dad was abusive and an alcoholic, but his mom loved him anyway. When he passed his mom became a wreck and barely left the house.

Mason kissed me. "Thanks again, see you later."

"I'm going to get changed," I ran up the stairs. When I got in my room I quickly put on some jean shorts, my purple tank top, brushed my hair and put it in a bun like always. We went to the grocery store to get stuff for our picnic. There were so many people in the store. I didn't know if some of them were dead or alive. That's when I got a bad feeling that that day wasn't going to be a very fun day.