Thirty Seven

Niall is waiting on the front stoop when they pull up in the driveway. His nose is red from the cold, and Liam had tried to convince him to wait inside like a normal person, but he was too excited. So there he is, sitting on the steps in his sweater, skirt, and thigh highs, tapping his feet impatiently. Justin is out of the car before it's even parked, running up the steps to grab Niall up in his arms.

"Justin!" Niall squeals as Justin lifts him fully off the ground, wrapping his arms around the older man's neck.

"Niall," Justin says, so tenderly it makes Niall's toes curl. Justin's hand touches his face, and Niall leans his cheek into his hand. A flash of anger at himself spreads in his chest for a second, for making the choice to distance himself from Justin and Zayn, these men that adore him.

"What the fuck, Justin?" Zayn asks after he's parked. "Did you seriously get out of the fucking car while it was still moving?"

"I got excited," Justin murmurs, sheepish. "Besides, you were already in the driveway, it's not like I jumped out of the car while you were still on the freeway or something."

Zayn rolls his eyes. "You're going to give me ulcers," he mutters, and when Niall smiles shyly up at him, he shakes his head. "Both of you. You two are going to give me ulcers. Come here, baby boy." Niall's smile crosses his face, and he goes up on tiptoe so he can kiss Zayn, humming when Zayn bites gently at his lower lip. "Shall we head to our place? We were just gonna have a lazy day in, but it would be even better with you there."

Niall touches Zayn's face with his fingertips. "Of course, just let me grab some stuff to take with."

They follow him into the apartment, Justin sitting on the sofa beside Liam. "Is that Breath of the Wild?" he asks, trying to figure out what game Liam is playing on the Nintendo Switch.

Liam nods, focused on the game. "I keep dying, it's so frustrating."

"Let me play."

"Fuck off, asshole," Liam says back, but he's laughing as he tries to maneuver the joy-cons out of Justin's grasp. Niall makes his way back to his bedroom, shaking his head at their antics, and Zayn follows him, smiling.

"What?" Niall asks when he sees the smile on Zayn's face.

"Nothing," Zayn answers, sitting on the edge of Niall's bed. "I just...I've missed you. We've missed you. I'm just so damn glad we're all going to be together again. It's a relief to know you're sure that's what you want."

Niall smiles at Zayn and sits in his lap, putting his arms around Zayn's neck. "It is what I want," he tells him softly, one hand tracing Zayn's jaw. Zayn leans in to kiss him, and Niall shivers with delight and kisses him back, loving every second. Zayn's just pushed him back on the bed, hand sliding up his thighs when the bedroom door is pushed open.

"Seriously? Without me?" Justin asks, offended. "You guys are lucky you're hot."

For a second, Niall is genuinely too kiss-drunk to even process what Justin said, but once he does, his face flushes pink. 

"Relax, we wouldn't do anything without you," Zayn assures him, leaving one last kiss on Niall's nose.

"I don't believe you," Justin says back, but he's smiling. Niall gets out of the bed and adjusts his skirt so he can finish packing his bag. "Ready?" Justin asks when Niall zips it shut, and he nods, calling goodbye to Liam and following his boyfriends out the door. 

"What should we do for dinner?" Zayn asks, and it's that question that makes Niall realize how quickly things have shifted back to normal. He knows there probably should have been some discomfort, some transitional awkwardness, but there's not. He's one hundred percent comfortable in the backseat of Zayn's car, listening to Justin scream along to Closer by The Chainsmokers.

"Pizza," Justin suggests. "We could make some? I think we have the ingredients to make pizza crust at the house."

"That sound okay to you, Ni?" Zayn questions, looking at him in the rearview mirror.

"Sure."

"I vote we put sardines on half."

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Zayn's expression is so disgusted that it makes Niall laugh, and when he stops, Justin has both hands pressed over his heart.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Niall asks him.

"Your laugh. I've missed the sound. It's the sweetest fucking thing," Justin answers, voice hushed, and Niall genuinely covers his face with both hands.

- - -

"You have flour on your nose," Justin tells Niall. He swipes at it with his hand, but just ends up making it worse. 

"Did I get it?"

"You made it worse," Zayn laughs.

"I got it," Justin tells him, and leans over and licks his nose.

"You did not just do that," Niall gasps out, jaw dropped.

"I did. Flour really doesn't taste nice." Justin scowls and takes a sip of his tea to flush out the taste. Not much later their pizzas are in the oven – Justin's without sardines, thank God – and they flip through Netflix, trying to decide what to watch.

"Is everything okay?" Niall asks quietly, hesitant. He doesn't want to upset the mood, which is still light and wonderful, but he still has no idea what Zayn and Liam had been up to while they were gone. The curiosity is eating at him.

"What do you mean 'everything'?" Justin asks, moving the arm that's around Niall's shoulder to rub his back.

"Well...when I left...I..." Niall trails off. Anxiety starts to climb into his chest over talking about it, and he shakes his head. "No, never mind."

"Angel," Zayn says gently, and he sets the remote down on the coffee table so he can cup Niall's face in his hands. "You can ask us anything. We aren't angry with you for leaving. Everything is okay."

Niall takes a deep breath, trying to settle his anxious heart. "I just...wondered if you two had – had talked about, um...what happened. You know...while you were gone." Niall's gaze nervously searches Zayn's face, wanting to be sure he hasn't upset him.

Zayn's gaze softens. "Yes, sweetheart. We talked about all of it. We aren't intentionally leaving you out of the conversation, I'm sorry if you felt that way. I just...don't know how to bring it up, and it's not exactly a light-hearted topic."

"I understand." Niall lifts a hand to trace one of the tattoos on Zayn's shirtless chest. "We don't have to talk about it. I just wanted to know if everything was okay." Zayn nods at that, and for once, Niall truly isn't worried. He knows that Zayn will talk about it when he's ready, and he doesn't want to rush that. 

"Can we watch Infinity War?" Justin asks, "Chris Evans with a beard is really fucking hot."

"That's true," Niall admits, and Justin and Zayn look over at him in surprise.

"You did always like my stubble," Zayn notes, thinking about it. 

Niall rolls his eyes. "Just play the movie, you assholes."

"Excuse me?" Zayn asks, and Niall can see the exact second it happens – he raises an eyebrow, an expectant look on his face, and Niall is immediately shrinking into himself and apologizing.

"Did you just roll your eyes?" Justin says, and Niall squirms in his spot, unsure of how to proceed. He wasn't prepared for this reaction, and he settles for staring at his fingers, intimidated. Justin lifts his chin, makes Niall look at him. "Answer me."

Niall shifts in his seat. "Yes...I'm sorry. I won't do it again, I promise."

"You're sorry who?" Zayn asks, and Niall squeezes his eyes shut, blushing. "Come on, angel. Use your words, sweet boy."

"I'm sorry, Daddies," he manages to breathe out, blushing deeper than ever, but the smiles on Justin and Zayn's faces make it worth it. He hides his face in Zayn's chest as Justin starts the movie, equal parts embarrassed and in love. As embarrassing as it is, Niall has to squeeze his thighs together and acknowledge the fact that he wouldn't want to be anywhere else but right here.