Changkyun || Father

"Appa! Read me a story!" Your daughter Eunji asks Changkyun

"I can't right now. I'm busy," Changkyun waves her out of his office.

"Appa! Please read me 'A Little Prince,'" she pouts.

"Ani, not right now honey. I have some work to do," he continues to avert his attention to his work.

Eunji turns around and heads to find you.

"Umma! Where are you?" You hear her call out.

"In the living room sweetheart," you respond.

"Umma, can you read me 'A Little Prince?' Appa is too busy to read to me again."

"Okay sweetheart."

You wrap your arm around her and Eunji rests her head on you.

You open the book and start reading.

Little do both of you know, Changkyun quietly exits his office once and awhile and watches you read to your daughter. He enjoys the sight, leaning against the frame to the living room.

He loves hearing your soothing voice read to your daughter. He enjoys the emotion put behind it, your slight glances at your daughter as she is so engrossed in the story.

Changkyun always watches you pick Eunji up when she falls asleep in the middle of you reading to her and carry her to her room.

He realizes tonight how big she is getting and that you struggle with her weight as you carry her to her room.

His heart sinks seeing how much effort you put into taking care of your daughter.

He wishes he puts more effort into taking care of her, as he sees how much she wants him to be in her life.

Changkyun was part of the KPOP group Monsta X who eventually disbanded, allowing you to get married to him. He stayed with the company and became a producer and composer for Starship Entertainment, as he always had a passion for music. You have always understood how busy he gets with working on music.

But you find it tiring to work as well as take care of the home and your daughter.

You've expressed how Changkyun has become a workaholic, and how both you and Eunji have become saddened by the fact that he focuses a lot of his energy on music.

You reflect on how he used to spend his free time with you when you were dating him when he was with Monsta X. Despite him being busier back then, you always felt his love. Now you feel as if he cares less about you, even though you created a family with him and that he is hypothetically less busy than back then.

However, you still have hope as you still care deeply about him and love him. You know Eunji looks up to him, seeing how hard he has worked to get where he is in life.

Because of work though, Changkyun has missed out on a lot of Eunji's milestones and big moments in life.

He missed seeing her take her first steps, he has missed hearing her say her first word, which happened to be 'appa,' and he has missed out on her losing her first tooth. He has missed out on her recitals and games.

What does it take for Changkyun to notice Eunji?

You sigh as you tuck Eunji into bed. You kiss her forehead and she stirs, murmuring, "Saranghae umma."

You turn off her light and close the door, only to be startled by the sight of Changkyun.

He takes your hand and leads you to your bedroom.

"[Y/N]-ah, I love you. I love our daughter just as much. I want to start off by saying that. Tonight I watched you read to Eunji and I saw you carry her to bed, struggling a little. That broke my heart. I heard her call out to you saying how I wouldn't read to her again. That broke my heart as well. I've missed out on so much. And I want to go back to our roots, where it all began."

Changkyun pauses, to see your reaction.

"You remember how we met, ne?"

"Mhm, back in the café, where I was startled to see you, as I was, and still am, a huge fan of yours," you laugh.

"You stood out to me as you respected my space but said hello. It meant a lot. I didn't want to loose someone so beauiful and respectful so I made Minhyuk run after you. You made such a huge impression on me, as we are here today," Changkyun chuckles.

"I was startled by Minhyuk running after me, but not surprised. He's an outgoing and loving guy."

"Ne, and I knew I wanted to be with you forever once I saw how loyal you have been throughout my time with Monsta X. Once I stayed with Starship and tried to make my mark as a composer and producer, that's where I lost touch with reality a little. I loved you then and I will continue to always love you. When Eunji was born, it was the best day of my life. Having a family with the most beautiful person in the world is the best feeling. I felt guilty when I wasn't there for all of the firsts and all of the important moments in Eunji's life. But I want to start tomorrow with being a better father to Eunji."

"Eunji looks up to you, did you know that? She loves and admires you because of your work ethic. She sees how hard you work for us and understands that you love her. She's very mature for a ten year old. She has such a strong figure to look up to."

"She has two strong figures in her life. The other person is you," Changkyun smiles at you and kisses you on the forehead.

"I never stopped loving you, [Y/N]. My love for you and Eunji has only grown every day."

--------

[A/N]: I watched 'Train to Busan' for the first time and it was AMAZING. This story is slightly based on it :^)