t r e

Ponyboy's POV

Johnny and I spent a little while going over simple phrases in Italian. He taught me "Come va?", which he said meant "how are you?"

Once it got dark, Johnny and I had finished our work.

"Ponyboy?"

"Yup, Johnny?"

"..You think.. we could go watch the stars..?" He mumbled, not meeting my eyes directly.

"I'd like that..." I replied, as he gently grabbed my hand and lead me downstairs, through the door and outside. I stumbled after him, nearly bumping into him when he stopped us.

We sat down in the grass, there was barely an inch between us. I scooted closer to him. I wanted to feel him next to me, for some reason.

I let a smile form on my lips, as I studied the stars.

A few minutes passed, and I reached for his hand, took it in mine and pointed to a constellation.

"There's Gemini," I whispered, "And Taurus.." I traced the line of stars into the air with our hands. I loved the feeling of his hand pressed into mine.

"...the Little Dipper?" Johnny whispered, barely audibly. He moved our hands to another shape of stars, tracing it. His hand was slightly shaky.
I nodded. My arm started to ache, so I lowered our hands to the ground.

I expected him to pull his hand away, but he didn't. And we sat in the grass, holding hands, and stargazing. After a little while, Johnny yawned, and my attention flicked over to him.

"..are you tired?" I whispered, and he nodded slightly. I stood up and helped him up gently. We walked inside and up the stairs, into the room we were gonna share.

"..are you sure I shouldn't sleep on the couch..?" Johnny asked carefully. His voice shook, just a little bit. I bet he thought I wouldn't notice, though.

"I'm sure, Johnnycakes.."

After we'd both changed, and Johnny still didn't take off his jean jacket, we settled into bed.

"Good night, Pone.." Johnny whispered to me, as he flicked the light off.

"G'night Johnny.." I murmured back, watching his shadow sink into the darkness.

During the few minutes we laid there, my breathing leveled out, and he must've thought I was asleep.

I heard some shuffling around. He must've taken off that jean jacket, finally. He must be burnin' up, in that thing.

I heard him utter some things in Italian that I couldn't understand, before setting his head back down into the pillow. It was silent, all except for our breathing, and my heartbeat, which seemed to be up in my ears.

I couldn't focus for some reason, and all I  could hear now was my own heartbeat, which was worryingly fast.

All I could wonder before I fell to the depths of sleep, was

If this boy isn't my soulmate, why does he make my heart beat so fast?

hey y'all! I hope you liked this chapter!! I'm sorry it's a little short, i just wanted to keep it short and sweet for now. thanks for reading!!

stay gold!!