Insomnia - Bang Chan

On a starry night when everyone was asleep, I was lying down in bed clueless to the world and it's on goings.

       A few months ago, I was diagnosed with insomnia. Right when I discovered that I couldn't sleep at night, I had to get a sleep disorder test. The doctor informed me that insomnia usually occurs because of anxiety, stress and depression.

       This worried me greatly. My insomnia is only making me feel worse. I guessed that my cause of insomnia was stress and anxiety. A few days ago, our literature teacher announced our first project of the semester. I started panicking, mostly because it's a pair project. I'm new to this high school, and I am still too shy to make any friends or talk to anyone.

       During summer, my family decided to move to a different part of town due to my father's change of employment. This meant I had to transfer schools, even though I hated the idea.

       Since it was going to be my last year of high school, my dad suggested a popular high school known for its huge student population and advanced teaching systems.

       However, on the first day of school, I was lost and clueless. I didn't make any friends or dare speak to anyone.

        Now, I have no idea what to do. I'm stressing out and having second thoughts about moving. Not only was I stressed out about the important project, but what if I don't make any friends this school year? It would be a nightmare! I can't survive my last year of high school without even having someone to rely on and laugh with.

       So, I made my decision. On Monday, I will find a random student in class and talk to them. I'm going to be as confident and strong as possible. I just need one friend. Hopefully, we can work on the project together. If they already are working with someone else, then I'll just ask another person. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

        I walked in the hallway towards my locker. I unlocked it, and grabbed my Algebra textbook. I hurriedly walked to class before I was late. I spotted my seat and sat down. Then I went over my plan.

        Okay, during Literature, I will choose my target. Then during lunch, I will talk to them. Oh god, I sound like a serial killer planning a homicide.

        I shook my head disapprovingly. I was so desperate, but it was my only solution to pass this semester's Literature class and make friends.

        "Good morning, class." Our Algebra teacher suddenly walked in. Everyone stood up and bowed.

        I was lost during class daydreaming about all the possible bad and good situations that could happen during lunch.

------------------------------------------------------------

        The hallways were loud with students talking and laughing around, while I made my way to the cafeteria. During Literature, I made my decision to ask one of the nicest girls in class, Jiyeon. I mentally prayed that she doesn't already have a pair to work with and she wouldn't mind me as a friend.

        I pushed the double doors of the cafeteria and looked around optimistically. There she is. She was sitting in a table with a few other girls, which wasn't a good sign for me. One of these girls could be her pair in the project. I pushed the negative thought aside and made my way through the cafeteria towards them.

        I reached their table and I could feel my heart beating louder than ever. I ignored it and tried to act confident and friendly.

         "Hi!" I said, smiling. All the girls turned their heads toward me at once, all in unison.