Chapter 19

The snow had almost completely melted and Percy was beyond confused.

Dear Harry,
You remember me writing to you about Mrs. Dodds? Well apparently she never existed. There's a new defense teacher, Professor Johnson. She seems really shaky so I don't think she'll last long. How is it over there? I hope you're not too bored without me.

Percy held the quill over his piece of parchment for a moment and narrowed his eyes at it for a moment before groaning and slamming the quill down on the table and taking new parchment.

"You started writing in Greek again?" Cedric asked calmly from his chair by the fire in the Hufflepuff common room where he was reading the assigned transfiguration pages.

"Yes." He growled.

"Why don't you take a break then?" The brown eyed boy put the book down and turned to look at the other. "Percy, you haven't stopped since Christmas. You're running yourself ragged."

Sea green eyes scanned the page again. Before it was rolled up again.

"Well, what do you suggest I do then cause I need to do something."

"I don't know, go hang out with the giant squid or something, I still have to read another chapter."

Percy sat there for a moment as his housemate returned to his homework. With a shrug, he got up and left the common room. As he walked towards the stairs to the entrance hall, he thought of his situation.

Literally every time he even mentioned Mrs. Dodds it was met with confusion. Every once in a while he'd try and spring a reference on one of his friends or classmates. It never worked. Honestly it would've started to make him feel like he'd finally lost it, gone off the deep end. If it weren't for the fact that he could see a faint glimmer of guilt in Annabeth's eyes when he brought it up. Then there was the slightly sad look his older friends shot him when they thought he wasn't looking.

The biggest tell however, was that Beckendorf slipped up.

Four nights earlier, the older Hufflepuff boy had been talking with Selina (who he had taken to some secret room on a date for Valentines day, seeing as Selina couldn't go to Hogsmead) about DADA when he mixed up Professor Johnson with Mrs. Dodds. The Slytherin girl had instantly corrected him with a warning look, glancing over at Percy who was pretending not to listen.

The black haired boy sighed as he crossed the grounds. He just wished his friends would be honest with him. He knew what he saw.

The black lake was calm. The water a smooth reflective surface. Percy sat by the water's edge for a moment before a slow smile spread across his face and he started taking his shoes and socks off. He also took off his sweater, leaving him in just jeans and a t-shirt. He made sure to keep his wand in hand, he didn't trust other kids not to come steal it.

With one last deep breath, he dove into the lake. The water was dark. Seemingly void of life.

The boy started as voices started speaking in his head and a bunch of fish and other water creatures swarmed him.

I must be going mad, he thought to himself.

Lord!

Lord!

My lord!

Realizing that the fish were talking to him was a shock to say the least. Enough for him to gasp and panic for the five seconds it took for him to realize that he wasn't drowning. Shooting back up to the surface, he floundered for a moment, trying to regain control of his breathing before he hyperventilated.

"Hey! You alright, Perce?" Luke called from the shade of a tree nearby. He was wearing a blue t-shirt matching his eyes and cargo shorts with flip flops, despite the fact that most students still often wore light sweaters even in the castle