Chapter 33

Ares leaned back in his seat, seemingly amused at how tense the young demigods were.

"What do you want?" The smallest asked bluntly.

"I got a job for ya. I was on a date with my girlfriend the other day, we were interrupted and I left my shield there. I need you to go get it."

"Why can't you go get it yourself?"

"You think I got time for that, Punk?"

"And you think we do? We're already on a quest."

Ares lowered his shades to glare at the child with flaming eyes.

"Zeus already sent his best to find the bolt. Apollo, Athena, Artemis, and me. If I couldn't find a weapon that powerful... well, needless to say your whole little adventure is rather pointless."

Percy grit his teeth but put into use his years of practice ignoring his negative emotions.

The waitress came with several plates of burgers and fries, receiving a couple drachmas.

"Umm, this isn't-"

Ares pulled his hunting knife out of its holster and started not-so-casually cleaning his fingernails with hit. The poor girl squeaked and quickly left with the gold coins. The god followed her with his eyes before having his attention brought back to the children.

"You can't just threaten people like that!" Percy hissed, fists clenched.

"Welcome to America, punk. Everyone carries weapons 'round here. Don't you."

The son of Poseidon clenched his jaw, hand subconsciously moving to hover over the pocket holding his magic sword/pen.

"Thought so. Now listen here, a god has just given you a chance to prove yourself. Will you prove yourself a coward?"

Now, in another life, Percy would become quite affronted at the suggestion. In this life, he recognizes the goad for what it is and doesn't take the bait.

"I didn't know that a sense of self-preservation was synonymous with cowardice."

Ares growled at him and his fellow demigods looked at him like he'd gone mad but the son of Poseidon remained outwardly calm. On the inside he was seething but he didn't need the war god knowing that. It seemed to gain a bit of grudging respect.

"Alright kid, I'm a generous guy so I'll tell you what, you three get my shield and I'll do something for you."

"We're fine on our own."

"Is that so? That mortal money of yours isn't endless, and when it runs out you'll need a little help. It'd be quite wise," he glanced over at Annabeth, "to have a god on your side."

"Let's just do it, Percy. It shouldn't take too long, we should still have plenty of time."

The ebony haired boy sighed but nodded reluctantly.

"Good choice. Now our date was at an abandoned water park just a mile west on Delancy. You can't miss it. Look for the Tunnel of Love ride."

Annabeth's face scrunched up a bit, unable to avoid showing her distaste.

"What interrupted your date? Something scare you off?"

Ares glared.

"I'll meet you back here when you're done. Don't disappoint me."

It seemed as though they just blinked and the god was gone, bike and all.

Percy looked at his companions.